The Archives acquires the following private records as they complement and contribute to an understanding of the civic records holdings and municipal government functions:
- Records of elected officials, such as mayors and aldermen, which are not subject to FOIP
- Records of amalgamated and annexed municipalities
- Records of boards and commissions funded in part or entirely by The City
- Records of civic partnerships which are accountable to The City
- Records relating to the XV Olympic Winter Games hosted by The City
Private records are the records of non-governmental organizations and institutions, as well as personal papers accumulated by an individual.