We steward our air, land, and water while encouraging healthy lifestyles for all Calgarians.
Operating dollars will be directed towards various initiatives including programs to protect communities and the environment, and meet regulatory compliance.
Capital investments in providing a healthy and green city will include:
- Investing in the development and redevelopment of recreation facilities to address community needs;
- Planning and implementing lifecycle and preventative maintenance services to provide recreation facilities that are energy efficient and sustainable;
- Retrofitting energy efficient LED Streetlights;
- Working with communities to maintain and upgrade Parks' open space to address changing community needs;
- Continuing to strengthen the Drainage line of service;
- Implementing biosolids and residuals management strategy;
- Continuing investments in flood resilient infrastructure;
- Implementing a new residential Green Cart Program;
- Maintaining a supply of serviced land.
H1 Implement the green cart program and multi-family recycling strategy, and reduce industrial, commercial and institutional waste in our landfills.
Key initiatives for 2015-2018, which focus on continued progress toward the Council-approved goal of 80 per cent diversion of waste from City-run landfills, include:
- Implementing a residential green cart program;
- Designing and constructing a residential organics and bio-solids composting facility to support 2017 implementation of a Green Cart Program;
- Implementing the multi-family recycling strategy;
- Implementing the industrial, commercial and institutional waste diversion strategy.
The reduction of waste will be achieved through working with citizens and customers to accomplish the actions above.
H2 Encourage a broader range of innovative and clean energy technologies.
H3 Manage the interrelationships between flood protection, water quality and quantity, and land use.
H4 Work with our regional partners and the Government of Alberta on an integrated approach to the watershed.
H5 Protect and enhance our urban forest and natural landscape throughout Calgary.
H6 Continue to build public awareness and understanding of our shared responsibility to conserve and protect the environment.
H7 Foster healthy lifestyles through a range of accessible and affordable recreational programs and opportunities that encourage active daily living.
H8 Continue to invest in indoor and outdoor recreation facilities that address the changing needs of Calgarians.
H9 Optimize the existing parks network to ensure Calgarians have access to nature and healthy and active lifestyles.
H10 Lead by example and manage regulatory risks to protect public health and the environment.