||Annual business tax payment deadline|
|April 1 and July 1
||7% penalty added to any unpaid current year's business tax|
If you cannot pay your bill in full by the due date, join the Business Tax Instalment Payment Plan (BTIPP) or contact a Business Tax Collection Officer, phone: 403-268-2507, to make alternative payment arrangements. Accounts with payment arrangements other than BTIPP will be subject to all applicable penalties after the due date. Unpaid accounts will be subject to collection action.
Business Tax Instalment Payment Plan (BTIPP)
The Business Tax Instalment Payment Plan (BTIPP) is a monthly instalment plan that allows taxpayers to pay their taxes in equal monthly payments. Find out How to Join BTIPP.
If you are a current Business Tax Instalment Payment Plan (BTIPP) participant, no payment is required by the due date.
Banks and financial institutions
Payments can be made through most chartered banks, trust companies, credit unions, and Alberta Treasury Branches.
Important: Know your bank's policies regarding the effective date of payment for the method of payment you choose. It’s important to pay at least three business days prior to the due date to meet the payment deadline.
ATM or in person at the branch
The banking industry is changing how bill payments are made at the branch and through ATM. To pay a bill at an ATM or in person (at a branch) you must first register that bill to your bank account bill payment profile.
In person: Have your business tax bill with you for the teller to register/confirm your BID on your bank account bill payment profile.
ATM: This option is available if you have registered your BID (business identifier) on your bank account’s bill payment profile.
- Register your business tax bill at your bank. Have your bill with you for the teller to register/confirm your BID on your bill profile with the bank.
- Register your business tax bill online or by telephone banking by following the steps shown in the Internet and phone section below.
- Keep your ATM receipt as proof of the date and time of payment.
Internet and phone
- Search and select: “Calgary (City of) Business Tax” in your bank’s bill payment system.
- Account number: the eight-digit BID (business identifier) shown on your tax bill. If your bank requires additional digits, include zeros in front of your BID.
- If you have more than business tax bill register and make payment on each BID separately.
If you have previously registered business tax bill(s) with your bank:
- Review the registered account number(s) (BID) to ensure it matches the BID on your current tax bill.
- If your BID has changed since your last bill payment be sure to register your new BID. This will ensure your payment is applied to your current bill.
The City Cashiers
Cashiers temporary relocation
Calgary Municipal Building, 800 Macleod Trail S.E.
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Pay by cash, cheque, post-dated cheque or Interac debit card.
- When using your debit card please be aware of your daily withdrawal limit.
- Credit card payments are not accepted.
Customer Service Centre
3rd floor, Calgary Municipal Building, 800 Macleod Trail S.E.
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Business Tax cannot be paid by credit card directly to The City of Calgary.
Some third-party online payment providers in Canada offer credit card as a payment option for business tax.
The City of Calgary does not endorse third-party payment providers and advises customers that:
- companies offering this service charge transaction fees, which are paid by the customer,
- there is no guaranteed date when the payment will be received by The City, and the delivery of payment to The City can take several days or weeks, and
- business owners are responsible to pay their business tax bill by the due date. If payment is received after the due date, the business owner will be responsible to pay any resulting late payment penalty.
24-hour deposit box
The deposit box is located on the east side of the Municipal Building, 3 Street S.E.
- Use cheque or money order (not cash).
- Cheques must be dated for the due date or earlier.
- Enclose the remittance portion of your bill and write the Business Identifier Number (BID) on
- Your payment must be in the deposit box prior to midnight of the due date to meet the payment deadline.
The City of Calgary #8044
P.O. Box 2405, Station M
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Send a cheque or money order (do not send cash) payable to The City of Calgary. Write your BID on your cheque and enclose the return portion of your bill.
- Ensure your cheque is signed and completed accurately, as The City of Calgary is not responsible for errors and/or omissions.
- The Canada Post postmark is honoured as the payment
date, which must be on or before the due date to avoid late payment penalties. Commercial postage meter imprints are not honoured.
- If the postmark of Canada Post is absent or illegible, the date received by The City of Calgary will be considered the payment date.
- The City is not responsible for lost payments. Late payment penalties will apply.
The City of Calgary will accept post-dated cheques for the payment of business tax, but to avoid penalty the cheque must be dated for the bill’s due date, or earlier. Post-dated cheques are accepted by mail, 24-hour deposit box and by courier or in person at The City Cashiers.
More business tax information
Business tax home page
Business tax payment
Business tax payment • Business Tax Instalment Payment Plan (BTIPP) • Business tax penalties and service charges • Business tax collection
Business tax bills and rates
For tax bill copies, contact Business Tax • For location specific info, contact Business Tax • Business tax bill and tax rate calculation • Business tax rates: current and historical • Business revitalization zone (BRZ) tax rates • Business tax supplementary bills
General business tax information
Business changes • Business tax and business assessment complaints • Business tax brochure •
Business tax consolidation
Contact Business Tax
Contact Business Tax