Sustainable, environmental and ethical procurement is the process in which organizations buy supplies or services by taking into account:
- best value for money - price, quality, availability, functionality;
- social and ethical aspects - working conditions; and,
- environmental aspects over the life cycle of products.
References to environmental and ethical procurement may also include the following keywords or phrases:
- sustainable purchasing, green procurement, green purchasing, buying green, etc.
- corporate social responsibility (CSR), triple bottom line (TBL), etc.
- worker health and safety, etc.
A sustainable environmental and ethical procurement policy (SEEPP) supports the purchase of products and services that will protect the environment and the welfare of workers while representing the best value for the corporation.