New instalment amount for Jan. 1 to June 1, 2017
All property tax accounts paid through the Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP) are reviewed in November to determine the amount of the monthly payment from Jan. 1 to June 1 of the next year.
2016 tax levy ÷ 12 = Jan. 1 to June 1, 2017, payment amount
2016 Tax levy
Your 2016 tax levy amount may include:
- an assessment increase or decrease due to an amended assessment notice or assessment appeal decision;
- or outstanding taxes, for example: an outstanding initial payment, dishonoured payment(s) and/or service charge(s), outstanding TIPP filing fee, or a charge from another City department.
- Each year property tax is billed in May and covers the calendar year Jan. 1 to Dec. 31.
- TIPP spreads the payment of taxes over 12 months, starting Jan. 1.
- TIPP automatically continues from year to year.
- From Jan. 1 to June 1 your monthly instalment is based on 1/12 of the previous year’s tax amount. In other words, the Jan.1 to Jun. 1, 2017, instalment is based on the 2016 taxes.
- From July 1 to Dec. 1 your instalment amount will be adjusted based on the actual 2017 annual tax amount.
Using a Supplementary Tax Bill to estimate taxes
Supplementary tax bills reflect the number of months the building was completed or occupied during the year.
If you received a supplementary tax bill this year, that tax amount is annualized as part of calculating the new instalment for the up-coming year.
For example: A supplementary tax that was billed for 8 months in 2016 is calculated for 12 months to estimate your 2017 taxes.
More TIPP information
Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP) • Overview • Brochure
Request an agreement to join • Return a completed agreement
TIPP changes and adjustments
Changing banks or bank accounts • Cancel TIPP • Non-payment and service charges • Buying or selling a property • Supplementary taxes and tax adjustments
More property tax information
Property tax • Property tax payment • Contact Property Tax