Caution, courtesy and common sense belong on Calgary's pathways.
Walking and cycling are the most popular activities on our city's pathways which people of all ages enjoy for exercise, recreation and/or commuting to and from work or school. With the diverse and multi-use pathway system, it is important to know all the safety rules of the pathways. For the complete pathways bylaws and safety information, please view the Parks & Pathways Bylaw.
Pathways' bylaw and safety program
With over 500 kilometres of pathways within our city boundaries, the bylaws and encouraged pathway behaviour relevant to Calgary's pathways are designed to ensure your safety and that of other pathway users. The City of Calgary Parks, and Animal & Bylaw Services are working together to increase your awareness, knowledge and compliance with Calgary's pathway regulations.
Responsible pathway behaviour reduces accidents. Always remember:
- Pay attention to and obey all signage.
- Unless otherwise posted, the speed limit on Calgary's pathways is 20 km/hr.
- Remain on the right hand side of a pathway, unless passing.
- Give an audible signal by voice or bell before passing someone.
- Yield to the person on your right at an uncontrolled intersection.
- Travel with care and attention.
- Share the pathways.
For detailed information on the Parks and Pathways Bylaw and the Animal Control Bylaw please visit www.calgary.ca/bylaws or call 3-1-1 or 403-268-CITY (2489) if calling from outside Calgary.
For information on the pathways, please visit www.calgary.ca/parks or call 3-1-1 or 403-268-CITY (2489) if calling from outside Calgary.