Share this page Print

Encroachment Application Procedure

Encroachment agreement

Please note: As of July 1, 1996, The City of Calgary does not allow encroachments on city roads or utility right of ways.

What do you need to obtain an Encroachment Agreement?

  1. A copy of title
    Copies may be obtained from private registry companies. You need to provide the legal description of the property for which you are seeking a title.
  2. A Real Property Report with compliance
    Real Property Reports (survey) may be obtained from any Alberta land surveyor. These Reports provide a detailed map of a property. We require an original or very clear copy (not reduced).

  3. A letter of intent
    This is a cover letter explaining why you are applying for an agreement. Highlight any important factors and be sure to refer to the property's address and legal description, as well as your mailing address and phone number.

  5. Fee
    Fees for encroachment applications are subject to a schedule in The City of Calgary Corporate Policy for Processing Encroachment Applications. You can purchase a copy of this policy from The City Clerk's Office or read it at the W.R. Castell Central Library only (no satellite locations). Please phone Bev Fellman at 403-268-5034 or Gurpreet Dhillon at 403-268-3744 or contact by email at regarding sending in your Real Property Report to us, we will reply in writing as to which application fee, if any, is relevant to your property.

    If a feature falls under Schedule "B", the fee for an encroachment agreement is $200.00 plus G.S.T. (total $210) and the application is immediately approved. If the feature falls under Schedule "C", the fee is $500 plus G.S.T. (total $525) and the application is subject to approval. Fees must be paid by cheque only. Please make cheques payable to the City of Calgary.

Applications will not be processed if any of these requirements are missing.

Drop off your complete application at:

9th Floor, Municipal Building
Real Estate & Development Services
800 Macleod Trail S.E.
Calgary, Alberta

Or mail it to:

The City of Calgary
Real Estate & Development Services
Attn: Encroachment Administrator
PO Box 2100, Station M
Calgary AB T2P 2M5

When we receive your application, we will circulate it to affected City business units and utilities to determine if an encroachment will be approved.

If an encroachment is approved, we will prepare an encroachment agreement for the registered owners to execute and register at the Alberta Land Titles Office. The Encroachment Agreement will remain for the life of the structure. The structure may not be rebuilt on City land.

For more information, phone Bev Fellman at 403-268-5034 or Gurpreet Dhillon at 403-268-3744.