Share this page Print

Licensing City Property for Telecommunication Antenna Structures

Licensing cell towers on the City property

Effective July 1, 2011, The City of Calgary may, under certain circumstances, license the installation of telecommunication antenna structures and devices (commonly known as cell towers) on City-owned property.

The Telecommunication Antenna Structures on Municipal Property policy outlines when cell towers may be placed on City-owned property.

The City of Calgary will consider allowing cell towers and antennas on City-owned property:

  • when there are no available private sites that meet a wireless service provider's technical needs; or
  • where there is significant public opposition to a proposed private site.

The wireless service provider must first discuss the possible use of a specific City site with Development & Building Approvals (DBA) before they make an inquiry about its availability.

Making an inquiry to license cell towers on City property

  1. After consulting DBA, the wireless service provider completes the Telecommunication Antenna Structures on City-Owned Property Inquiry Form and mails or faxes it to Real Estate & Development Services.
  2. The query regarding the property in question will be circulated to City business units to determine if it is needed for a current or future municipal use. This process will take about five or six weeks.
  3. If the site is not needed for municipal use, Real Estate & Development Services will contact the applicant to discuss the terms and conditions of a Site License Agreement and a Master Telecommunications Agreement.
  4. Once the agreements are obtained, Real Estate & Development Services will provide the applicant with a letter of authorization that allows them to make a submission to DBA for a telecommunication antenna structure and devices.

An inquiry does not guarantee the City site will be available for licensing a tower or antenna.

Applicants must abide by all terms and conditions outlined in The City of Calgary Telecommunication Antenna Structures Siting Protocols including carrying out any public consultation that may be required.

Applicants will also be required to contact other telecommunications providers to allow them the opportunity to co-locate on their cell tower. If the provider does allow the co-location they must be directed to Real Estate & Development Services to enter into a separate license.

The applicant will be informed if the City property they have inquired about is not available. They may then discuss if there is an alternative City property with DBA.

See The City's Authority for Telecommunication Antenna Structures and Devices for detailed information about The City's roles and responsibilities regarding cell towers.


Submit completed forms to:

By Fax By Mail
The City of Calgary The City of Calgary
Real Estate & Development Services Real Estate & Development Services #8052
Property Inquiry P.O. Box 2100, Station M
Fax: 403-268-1948 Calgary, Alberta T2P 2M5