Adopting a cat or dog from Animal & Bylaw Services helps reduce the number of homeless pets in Calgary and provides a loving animal with a forever home. When you adopt a cat or dog you are giving that animal a new start.
Adoption procedures for cats and dogs:
- Appointments are no longer required - animals will be viewd on a "first come first meet basis.
- Meeting times: Animals may be viewed Monday - Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday - Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Address: The Animal Services Centre is located at 2201 Portland St S.E.
- Meetings can take anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.
- It is strongly recommended that you come with all people and pets that will be living with the animal.
- Some animals with adoption conditions may require a second visit.
- We do not put "holds" unless a second visit is required.
How much does it cost to adopt a cat or dog?
It costs $200 to adopt a dog from Animal & Bylaw Services and $150 for a cat. The adoption fee includes:
- Effective January 1, 2012, when you adopt a pet from Animal Services, you will receive a complimentary 6-week trial of Petsecure pet health insurance.
- Spay or neuter surgery (if required)
- A microchip implant for identification
- A six-month City of Calgary animal licence
- The first set of vaccinations (excluding rabies)
- De-worming of cats and puppies under six months
- Testing for feline leukemia (cats only)
- A bag of pet food
- An adoption kit
Why should I adopt from Animal & Bylaw Services?
There are many reasons to adopt a cat from Animal & Bylaw Services including:
- Adoption provides a healthy, loving cat or dog with a forever home.
- You are reducing the number of homeless cats and dogs in Calgary.
- You get a lot of value for your money (see above).
- All animals are checked by a veterinarian for health and behavioural problems.
- Qualified Animal Health Technologists advise you throughout the adoption process.
- Volunteers work with the animals to keep them happy and socialized during their stay at the Animal Services Centre.
How do I adopt a cat or dog?
If you are interested in adopting a cat or dog please view our list of adoptable cats and adoptable dogs that are currently available for adoption, then take a look at the impounded cats and impounded dogs to see other pets that might become adoptable in the next few days. Adoptable animals are updated every 15 minutes so check back frequently to see what new cats and dogs become available. You can also download our free City of Calgary Pets mobile application to view available pets on your mobile phone.
Please see the adopting a cat or the adopting a dog pages for more details.