Adopting a cat or dog from Animal Services helps reduce the number of homeless pets in Calgary and provides a loving animal with a forever home. When you adopt a cat or dog you are giving that animal a new start.
Adoption procedures for cats and dogs:
- Appointments are no longer required - animals will be viewed on a first-come first-meet basis.
Meetings can take anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.
- We strongly recommend that "at home" dogs be brought in to meet with any dogs you are considering adopting.
- We do not recommend bringing in cats or bringing in a dog to meet cats you are considering adopting - it is too stressful for the cats.
- Some animals with adoption conditions may require a second visit.
- We do not put "holds" unless a second visit is required.
How much does it cost to adopt a cat or dog?
It costs $207+GST to adopt a dog and $155+GST for a cat. The adoption fee includes:
- Complimentary 6-week trial of Petsecure pet health insurance.
- Spay or neuter surgery (if required)
- A microchip implant for identification
- A six-month City of Calgary animal licence
- The first set of vaccinations (excluding rabies)
- Testing for Feline Leukemia/Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (cats)
- A bag of pet food
- An adoption kit
Costs of licensing your animal can be found on our licensing page.
Why should I adopt from Animal Services?
There are many reasons to adopt a cat us, including:
- Adoption provides a healthy, loving cat or dog with a home.
- You are reducing the number of homeless cats and dogs in Calgary.
- You get a lot of value for your money (see above).
- All animals are checked by a veterinarian for health and behavioural problems.
- Qualified Animal Health Technologists advise you throughout the adoption process.
- Volunteers work with the animals to keep them happy and socialized during their stay at the Animal Services Centre.
How do I adopt a cat or dog?
If you are interested in adopting a cat or dog please view our list of adoptable cats and adoptable dogs that are currently available for adoption, then take a look at the impounded cats and impounded dogs to see other pets that might become adoptable in the next few days.
If you see an animal you would like to adopt, come down to the Animal Services Centre to request a meeting with the animal you are interested in. Cats and dogs are adopted on a first-come, first-served basis. You may be asked to take time to think through the adoption process and return for a second visit.
Adoptable animals are updated every 15 minutes so check back frequently to see what new cats and dogs become available. You can also download our free City of Calgary Pets mobile application to view available pets on your mobile phone.
Contact Animal Services