Adopting a dog from Animal & Bylaw Services helps reduce the number of homeless dogs in Calgary and provides a loving pet with a forever home. If you are interested in adopting a dog please view the pictures of the adoptable dogs at our facility, or download our free mobile application called City of Calgary Pets to view available pets on your mobile phone.
To view additional photos of our adoptable dogs, please visit the adoptable dogs photo gallery.
Adoption procedures for cats and dogs:
- Appointments are no longer required - animals will be viewd on a "first come first meet basis.
- Meeting times: Animals may be viewed Monday - Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday - Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Address: The Animal Services Centre is located at 2201 Portland St S.E.
- Meetings can take anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.
- It is strongly recommended that you come with all people and pets that will be living with the animal.
- We do not put “holds” on animals.
- Some animals with adoption conditions may require a second visit.
How much does it cost to adopt a dog?
Adopting a dog from Animal & Bylaw Services costs $200. You get a lot of value for your money, as this adoption fee includes:
- Effective January 1, 2012, when you adopt a pet from ABS you will receive a complimentary 6 week trial of Petsecure pet health insurance.
- Spay or neuter surgery (if required)
- A microchip implant for identification
- A six-month City of Calgary animal licence
- The first set of vaccinations (excluding rabies)
- De-worming for puppies under six months
- A bag of pet food
- An adoption kit
Why should I adopt from Animal & Bylaw Services?
There are many reasons to adopt a dog from Animal & Bylaw Services including:
- Adoption provides a healthy, loving dog with a forever home.
- You are reducing the number of homeless dogs in Calgary.
- You get a lot of value for your money (see above).
- All animals are checked by a veterinarian for health and behavioural problems.
- Qualified Animal Health Technologists advise you throughout the adoption process.
- Volunteers work with the animals to keep them happy and socialized during their stay at the Animal Services Centre.
How do I adopt a dog?
- View the adoptable dogs currently available at the Animal Services Center. Or download our free mobile application called the City of Calgary Pets to view available pets on your mobile phone. Adoptable animals are updated hourly so check back frequently to see what new dogs are available.
- Come down to the Animal Services Centre at 2201 Portland Street S.E. to request a meeting with the dog you are interested in. Dogs are now adopted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- During the visit, an Animal Health Technologist will guide you through the adoption process. They will discuss any adoption conditions based on the outcome of the dog’s behaviour assessment. They will also review proper pet care to keep the dog healthy, responsible dog ownership and any comments regarding the dog’s health or behaviour from the clinic staff or volunteers.
- You may be required to return for a second visit the next day.
- If you decide to go through with the adoption, the dog will be spayed or neutered, and microchipped at the Animal Services Centre.
- Animal & Bylaw Services will notify you when your dog is ready to be brought home.