Benefits of licensing a cat or dog
There are many benefits of licensing your cat or dog with Animal & Bylaw Services. Your pet’s licence is his ticket home. If he is ever lost, his licence provides Animal & Bylaw Services with critical information that will help us return him to you safely. In fact, because of pet licensing, Calgary has the highest return to owner and lowest euthanization rates in North America. The revenue generated from licensing helps feed, shelter and care for the pets in our facility; and supports our cat adoption, dog adoption, school/educational programs and volunteer programs. In other words, when you license your pet, not only are you protecting your own pet’s safety, you are helping the thousands of other animals who enter our shelter.
Effective January 1, 2012, when you renew your pet's licence and purchase a new Petsecure pet health insurance policy, you will receive one month of premium coverage at no cost and the enrolment fee will be waived.
Your animal licence fees, not tax dollars, allow us to:
- Reunite lost cats and dogs with their owners.
- Operate the Pet Drive Home program.
- Educate cats and dog owners about the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.
- Shelter and feed lost cats and dogs in our vet-operated facility.
- Manage our animal adoption program.
- Offer school programs at no charge.
- Deliver public education programs.
- Run our volunteer animal socialization programs.
- Help neighbours resolve their animal related conflicts.
- Fund veterinary clinics for emergency medical care for injured stray cats and dogs.
- Provide medical care to adoptable cats and dogs in our state-of-the-art clinic.
- Operate the No Cost Spay/Neuter program for the cats and dogs of eligible Calgarians.
What is the I Heart My Pet rewards program?
The I Heart My Pet rewards program is our way of thanking the thousands of Calgarians who have license their pets each year. Citizens receive a rewards card when purchasing a new or renewing an existing animal licence. The card gives you discounts for a variety of products and services at over 60 partnering merchants. By using the card just a couple of times, you can recoup the equivalent amount of your licensing fees.
How do I licence my cat or dog?