There are many benefits of licensing your cat or dog with Animal & Bylaw Services. Your pet’s licence is his ticket home. If he is ever lost, his licence provides Animal & Bylaw Services with critical information that will help us return him to you safely. In fact, because of pet licensing, Calgary has the highest return to owner and lowest euthanization rates in North America.
How licensing dollars are spent
Your animal licence fees allow us to:
- Reunite lost cats and dogs with their owners;
- Educate cats and dog owners about the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw;
- Shelter and feed lost cats and dogs in our vet-operated facility;
- Manage our animal adoption program;
- Run community education programs;
- Run our volunteer animal socialization programs;
- Help neighbours resolve their animal related conflicts;
- Fund veterinary clinics for emergency medical care for injured stray cats and dogs;
- Provide medical care to adoptable cats and dogs in our state-of-the-art clinic; and
- Operate the No Cost Spay/Neuter program for the cats and dogs of eligible Calgarians.
I Heart My Pet rewards
The I Heart My Pet rewards program is our way of thanking the thousands of Calgarians who have license their pets each year. Citizens receive a rewards card when purchasing a new or renewing an existing animal licence. The card gives you discounts for a variety of products and services at various businesses. By using the card just a couple of times, you can recoup the equivalent amount of your licensing fees.
Does my pet have to wear their licence?
- Dogs must wear their licence tags whenever they are off their owner's property, even if they have a form of permanent identification such as a tattoo or microchip.
- Cats must wear their licence tags if they have no form of permanent identification, or if they have tattoos that are no longer legible.
- If a cat has permanent identification such as a microchip or legible tattoo they are not required to wear their licence tag.