Updated June 17, 2015
PLEASE NOTE: We are experiencing some technical issues at City Hall Cashiers 3rd floor. We are unable to process any transactions for new licences or renewals for our customers. You can process your licence payment via on-line (see below), over the phone via 311, or in person at the Animal Services Centre.
All cats and dogs over three (3) months of age and residing in Calgary must be licenced with The City of Calgary Animal & Bylaw Services. If you do not licence your cat or dog, you could face a $250 fine.
What does a one-year pet licence cost?
||$37.00 for a puppy
(3 to 6 months old)
|$17.00 for a kitten |
(3 to 6 months old)
|$37.00 spayed/neutered dog over 6 months old
||$17.00 spayed/neutered cat over 6 months old|
$60.00 for an unaltered dog
$35.00 for an unaltered cat
|Nuisance Animal licence: $103.00 |
- For credit card payment, use our online form.
- Note: the payment system URL changed on September 29, 2014.
Please update any old bookmarks or archived links.
If you want to use a form of payment other than credit card, such as Interac, please register your pet licensing bill with your own bank. This method also allows for automatic renewal.
- For all forms of payment, visit the Animal Services Centre in person at 2201 Portland Street S.E. or go to The City of Calgary Property Tax, Business Tax and Animal Licencing counter on the third floor of the Municipal Building (800 MacLeod Trail S.E.).
- To pay by cheque, mail in a completed Animal Licence Application and cheque to:
The City of Calgary Animal & Bylaw Services
P.O. Box 2100, Station M, #36
For more information, call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (outside of Calgary).
Why was I billed for a licence period greater or less than 12 months?
The renewal notice you received will be for a period anywhere between 7 to 18 months. The reason for prorating your licence is to place you in the correct billing month based on the first letter of your surname (similar to a vehicle registration renewal). After this first prorated renewal, provided there hasn’t been a surname change, your subsequent licence renewals should be for 12 months only.
Does my pet have to wear their licence?
- Dogs must wear their licence tags whenever they are off their owner's property even if they have a form of permanent identification such as a tattoo or microchip.
- Cats must wear their licence tags if they have no form of permanent identification, or if they have tattoos that are no longer legible.
- If a cat has permanent identification such as a microchip or legible tattoo they are not required to wear their licence tag.
What does my licence fee pay for?
Your animal licence fee enables Animal & Bylaw Services to provide the following services:
I Heart My Pet Rewards Program
In order to thank responsible pet owners who licence their cats and dogs, Animal & Bylaw Services offers the I Heart My Pet program. This rewards program provides pet owners with discounts from various partnering vendors.
Discontinuation of the Licencing Second Notices
Starting February 15, 2012, Animal & Bylaw Services is no longer mailing a Second Notice. This is a result of our commitment to create a more environmentally friendly and cost efficient invoicing process.
As a result, pet owners will only receive one Notice through the mail 30 days prior to the licence expiration date.
Pet owners can participate in helping Animal & Bylaw Services create greater efficiencies by calling 3-1-1 and having their email addresses added to their pet’s file. In the future we hope to be able to use an email rather than mail process.
Thank you for your assistance. Licencing helps Animal & Bylaw Services reunite lost pets with their owners.
To learn more about the importance of licencing your cat or dog please watch the videos: