The City of Calgary's Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw regulates animals in our city. This is a brief overview of the bylaw. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.
Overview of the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw
According to the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, dog owners must ensure their dogs:
- Have and wear a City of Calgary licence from when they are three-months-old.
- Do not run at large. This means that dogs must be under control or on their owner's property.
- Are on-leash at all times, unless posted signs indicate otherwise, or are in a securely fenced private yard.
- Are under control in designated off-leash areas. This means they must respond to sight and sound commands.
- Do not:
- Bite anyone
- Injure anyone
- Chase, threaten or attack a person or an animal
- Bark, howl or disturb anyone
- Cause damage to property or animals
- Scatter garbage
- Do not wander into:
- School grounds
- Sports fields
- Golf courses
- Wading or swimming areas
- While on a pathway:
- Are on a leash no longer than two metres.
- Remain on the right hand side of the pathway.
- Not interfere with or obstruct other users.
- Are not left unattended while tethered.
- Are only allowed to be transported in the back of a truck if the dog is in a fully enclosed trailer, a truck bed covered with a topper, contained in a ventilated kennel that is secured to the truck bed, or securely tethered and not standing on bare metal.
According to the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, dog owners:
- Bring along a suitable means to pick up feces.
- Pick up all feces produces by their dog both on and off their property.
- Do not cycle, skateboard or in-line skate with a dog on a leash while on a pathway.
Fines for failing to comply with the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw range from $25 to $1500.
The City of Calgary'sResponsible Pet Ownership Bylaw regulates animals in our city. This is a brief overview of the bylaw. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.
Filing a complaint
If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 3-1-1 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).