Updated October 1, 2015
Under our Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, cat owners must ensure their cats:
- Have a City of Calgary license.
- Remain on the owner's property.
- Do not disturb the peace by howling or crying.
- Do not damage others' property.
- Do not scatter garbage.
- Do not chase, threaten, or attack a person or an animal.
Fines for failing to comply with the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw range from $25 to $1500.
How to file a complaint and what happens to it
If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).
For more information regarding complaints about cats or obtaining a cat trap, please reference these linked pages.
Search our bylaws