Share this page Print

Report a bylaw violation

If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).

Online services are availble for the following:

You will need to have your name, address, phone number and alternate phone number ready, as well as the address and exact location of the property for which you wish to register a complaint.

To aid 311 and assist Animal & Bylaw Services staff to respond faster, please be ready to describe your complaint briefly and concisely. This information will remain confidential. No anonymous complaints will be accepted - you must identify yourself to the 311 call-taker.

What happens when a complaint is registered?

When a complaint is registered, this is the procedure that is followed:

  • The information is assigned a file number and entered into the computer system.
  • A copy of the complaint and all supporting documentation is forwarded to the area bylaw enforcement officer.
  • The assigned bylaw officer will visit the home or business premises named in the complaint. Due to the high volume of complaints registered and limited City resources, it can take several days before an initial visit occurs. Complaints are handled on a priority basis. Priority is given to those with a serious public safety implication.
  • If there appears to be a bylaw infraction, the bylaw officer visits the property and attempts to contact the owner. The officer discusses the infraction with the owner in an attempt to achieve compliance. The officer may issue a written notice, warning the property owner to resolve the matter by a specified deadline.
  • If the owner is not home, the officer will issue a written notice, warning the property owner to resolve the matter by a specified deadline.
  • The officer may make periodic check-ups before this deadline.
  • Following the expiry of the deadline, the bylaw officer will revisit the premises to determine whether the matter has been resolved. In some cases, property owners will request extensions to their deadlines. If the officer believes the property owner is acting in good faith, the request may be granted.
  • If, upon a return visit, the bylaw officer finds the property owner has not complied with the warning, he may arrange for City crews or contracted personnel to perform the work required to resolve the problem (remove snow or cut tree branches, for example). When this occurs, the property owner is subsequently invoiced for the cost of performing the service.

Will someone get back to me about my complaint?

A bylaw officer will attempt to contact the caller to acknowledge receipt of their complaint. However, due to the very high volume of activity, we cannot guarantee a callback.

Search Our Bylaws

To find out more about Calgary’s other bylaws, search bylaws by topic.