Shoveling snow can be a tough task. Here are some helpful tips that can make clearing your sidewalk a little easier:
- Space your hands on the shovel to increase leverage.
- Stand with your feet apart, knees bent and back straight.
- Place your front foot close to the shovel.
- Put weight on your front foot. Step forward and use your legs to load a small amount of snow onto the shovel. Remember the wetter the snow, the heavier it is.
- Lift with your legs; do not bend at the waist.
- Keep the shovel close to your body.
- Walk to where you want to dump the snow. Turn your feet in the direction you are throwing the snow. Do not twist at the waist.
- Pace yourself. Take appropriate rest breaks.
- Apply road salt/de-icer wherever necessary.
City of Calgary Snow Programs
See real time snow clearing updates, maps, information about the Snow Angel program and other winter weather programs from the City of Calgary at: http://Calgary.ca/snow
Snow Shovelling Tips Video
Snow & Ice Removal Resources
For further information please visit: