Massage Practitioner Licence
A Massage Practitioners Licence will be issued to those practitioners with a membership in good standing with a recognized Massage Association. The City of Calgary recognizes the following Massage Associations:
- Remedial Massage Therapists of Alberta (RMTA)
- Massage Therapist Association Of Alberta (MTAA)
- Alberta Association of Therapeutic Masseurs (AATM)
- Natural Health Practitioners of Canada (NHPC)
- Certified Registered Massage Therapists Association (CRMTA)
How do I qualify as a Massage Practitioner?
A licensed Massage Practitioner will:
- Be a member in good standing with one of the four (4) recognized Massage Associations.
- Book appointments and work through a licensed Massage Centre, or
- Carry on their own business of a licensed Massage centre and book appointments through the licensed massage centre, or
- Make bookings through their own licensed Massage Office for outcalls only (no massages can be administered at a location licensed as a Massage Office).
As a Massage Practitioner, once The City has verified your proof of affiliation with a recognized Massage Association, you will be provided with the ability to renew your licence (via the methods as defined on your statement). You will receive a paper licence as well as a five (5) year identification card. You will no longer be required to renew your licence in person except for once every five (5) years to obtain your identification card.
Body Rub Practitioner Licence
A Body Rub Practitioner Licence will be issued to those practitioners who have a minimum of two hundred and fifty (250) hours of education/training from an approved school of massage and are not a member of one of the four (4) recognized Massage Associations listed above.
How do I qualify as a Body Rub Practitioner?
A licensed Body Rub Practitioner will:
- Have a minimum of 250 hours of education/training from an approved massage school.
- Not be a member of one of the four (4) recognized Massage Associations.
- Book appointments and work only through a licensed Body Rub Centre, or
- Carry on their own business of a licensed Body Rub Centre and book appointments through the licensed Body Rub Centre, or
- Make bookings through their own licensed grandfathered* Body Rub Office for outcalls only (no massages can be administered at a location licensed as a grandfathered* Body Rub Office).
- Not be permitted to operate as a home based business (unless grandfathered*)
- Not be permitted to operate as a mobile Body Rub Practitioner (unless employed by a Body Rub Centre or own a Body Rub Office grandfathered*). Unless employed by a Body Rub Centre grandfathered* or own a Body Rub Office grandfathered*, the activity of body rub must take place in a Body Rub Centre.
- Complete an annual police background check.
*Grandfathered means that the business licence existed before the new Bylaw. Once the changes go into effect and your licence(s) either closes or is not renewed by the expiry date, a new licence application is required and the new regulations will apply.
Please note: Body Rub Practitioners are subject to a yearly police check; must renew their licence at the front counter each year to receive their licence card; and, must bring in proof of employment with a registered Body Rub Centre. Body Rub Practitioners can only be affiliated with or work for one Body Rub Centre.
How do I renew my licence?
To apply for either a Massage Practitioner Licence or a Body Rub Practitioner Licence, bring your current licence to the Planning Service Counter located in the Calgary Municipal Building, third floor, 800 Macleod Trail S.E.
- To be licensed as a Massage Practitioner, you must provide proof of affiliation with one of the four (4) recognized Massage Associations. Bring this proof of affiliation along with you when you visit the Customer Service Counter.
- If you choose to not be affiliated with one of the four (4) recognized Massage Associations, you will then be licensed as a Body Rub Practitioner. All Body Rub Practitioners must work for a licensed Body Rub Centre or Body Rub Centre (grandfathered**) or Body Rub Office (grandfathered**).