The following is a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) about the No Cost Spay/Neuter program and the answers to the FAQ about the No Cost Spay/Neuter program.
Who is eligible for the No Cost Spay/Neuter Program?
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age and be a resident of the City of Calgary.
- The family household annual before-tax income must be no greater than 85 per cent of the Statistics Canada Low Income Cut-Offs (LICOs). "Proof of Eligibility" is required.
What animals are eligible for spay or neuter surgery?
- Healthy cats and dogs.
- Female cats in heat.
- Pregnant cats and dogs. This is dependent on the health of the animal.
Note: For the health of your pet, we recommend that he/she is vaccinated by a veterinarian at least two weeks before surgery.
What animals are NOT eligible for spay and neuter surgery?
• Unhealthy or contagious cat or dogs. This includes cats and dogs that are coughing, sneezing, have watery eyes, runny noses, mange or ringworm.
• Female dogs in heat. Spay one month after the dog's cycle is completed.
• Nursing cats and dogs. Spay four weeks after the litter has been weaned.
If I have more than one pet, do I need to submit more than one application form?
Only one application form is required.
How does spay or neutering my cat or dog prevent reproduction?
In female cats and dogs, the uterus and ovaries are removed through a small incision in the abdominal wall. After the surgery, females will be unable to get pregnant. In male cats and dogs, the testicles are removed but the scrotum remains. Removal of the testicles prevents production of sperm resulting in the male cat or dog no longer being able to father kittens or puppies.
See spaying or neutering your cat or spaying or neutering your dog for more information about spay or neuter surgeries.
What can I do if I don’t qualify for the No Cost program?
The MEOW Foundation also has a low-cost spay/neuter program for cats called SNAP.
For more information, contact the MEOW Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.meowfoundation.com under Programs to apply online.