The City of Calgary Animal & Bylaw Services, ATCO Gas and ENMAX have a long history as partners in the Partners for Community Safety Committee. The purpose of the Partners for Community Safety Committee is to increase citizen awareness of the seasonal challenges and safety issues facing service providers who are required to access Calgarians’ properties.
Calgary residents play a key role in helping to improve the safety and efficiency of service providers by being proactive and ensuring their yards are well-maintained and pets are properly managed. Your yard is someone’s workplace and you have a responsibility to eliminate hazards that could result in injuries. You can help protect service providers by:
- Ensuring they have unobstructed and safe access to your property. For example, keep your sidewalks clear of hoses and gardening tools and store toys, bikes and shovels appropriately.
- Shovelling your sidewalk down to the bare concrete within 24 hours of a snowfall. Sand mixtures are available free of charge from fire halls and roads depots. Applying this mixture to your sidewalk helps to ensure it is ice free, particularly after a Chinook.
- Easing access to your properties by ensuring that gates open and close easily and fences are in good repair.
- Making your meters accessible to read. Meters should not be used as clotheslines or covered by overgrown shrubs or weeds or garden hoses. In fact, if we can see your meter from the alley we can use a scope to read it without entering your yard.
- Ensuring access to the green transformer box if it is located on your lawn or in your alley. Do not plant anything within three meters of the front of the transformer box, and do not lean or store anything on it.
- Supervising dogs while in the backyard. Dogs need to be under their owners’ control and not pose a threat to service providers. If a service provider needs access to your backyard, bring your dog inside or put him in an enclosed run outside.
By maintaining tidy properties, Calgary residents can assist in ensuring safe working environments for service providers. Hazard-free access to meters and equipment across the city helps to ensure accurate billing, reliable services, and most importantly, many days of making it home happy and injury free.