Positive Animal Wellness Support (PAWS) Pal program
Animal & Bylaw Services encourages qualified individuals to volunteer to help socialize our adoptable cats and adoptable dogs. In addition to being experienced and confident in working with animals, candidates must be mature, dependable and conscientious of safety procedures.
- To provide positive interaction with cats and/or dogs awaiting adoption.
- To provide opportunities for play and exercise for cats and/or dogs.
- To facilitate basic obedience training for dogs.
- To promote physical and psychological well-being for cats and dogs awaiting adoption.
Qualifications, A PAWS Pal must:
- Be at least 18 years.
- Have significant experience in handling cats and/or dogs.
- Be physically able to handle animals.
- Successfully complete screening and orientation/training prior to beginning assignment.
- Be friendly and outgoing.
- Value reward-based approach to dog training.
- Take direction well, work well with minimal supervision and show initiative.
- Possess good verbal and written communication skills.
- Uphold and implement Animal & Bylaw Services' policies and procedures (including confidentiality).
- Promote the positive public image of Animal & Bylaw Services.
- Three-hour orientation
- Training shifts prior to start of placement
- Ongoing training/special interest seminars, etc.
Volunteers are required to commit to a minimum of four hours per month for a minimum term of one year. Drop-ins are not permitted. Shifts must be scheduled for a minimum of one and a half hour blocks. Available shifts are:
- Monday to Friday between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
PAWS Pal volunteers have the opportunity for one-on-one interaction with the cats and dogs awaiting adoption at the Animal Services Centre. The benefit is mutual: the volunteer receives learning opportunities, contributes to the wellbeing of the cats and dogs, and has fun doing it. In turn, the cats and dogs will be less stressed, better socialized and more adoptable.
Applying to volunteer for the PAWS Pal Program.
Thank you for your interest in the PAWS Pal Program and the welfare of the cats and dogs at The City of Calgary Animal Services Centre. At this point, we are not recruiting any new volunteers. Please check back in the fall for an update.
Alpha House visits the Animal Services Centre
In February, clients from Calgary’s Alpha House took time to come to the Animal Services Centre to learn more what we do and how we care for our animals that are up for adoption.
This is the second group of caring individuals from Alpha House who have made the time to spend with our animals, get a tour of our facility and find out about the work of Animal & Bylaw Services.
It was a great afternoon full of kitty cuddling, dog petting, questions and learning. Not only did the animals love it, we are pretty sure our visitors did too.
Thanks to Jill from Alpha House for facilitating the visits. We loved having you!