Paint the Town Volunteers
By participating in the Seniors Services Division Paint the Town project, your company commits to recruiting employee volunteers who will come out and spend a day painting the exterior of a senior's home and this may include; fences, garages, decks & railings, trim work (windows, doors, and gables), eves, soffits and fascia. Seniors Services completes the majority of the prep work however, on occasion some minor prep/repair work is required to be completed prior to painting such as scraping old paint, re-caulking and minor repair of decks and fences and groups will be advised of this in advance. At the end of the project, volunteers will be thanked for the assistance and clean-up will be completed by the Seniors Services staff.
The first Paint the Town project was launched in 1998 to support seniors who cannot afford, or are physically unable, to maintain their residences. Many seniors on fixed incomes face difficult decisions when the financial and physical burdens of home maintenance become overwhelming. Understandably, they are reluctant to give up their family home, neighbourhood and friends. The spirit of the project reflects this desire of seniors to stay in their own homes and communities and to feel and increased sense of pride in their homes and is vital to maintain independence and well-being.
Various communities throughout the City of Calgary
Seniors Services will confirm a project date for your team and indicate how many volunteers are required for that project. The events are traditionally scheduled weekly on Tuesdays (9 AM to 3 PM) with a Thursday back-up day in the event of rain-outs. It is important to make sure your team is aware of BOTH dates, as the schedule for Paint the Town projects is very busy.
Some skills that are helpful but not mandatory are:
- a commitment to respecting client confidentiality and supporting seniors who are vulnerable
- handy with tools, prepared for physically demanding work and a general awareness of home maintenance issues for seniors
- the ability to have fun with other volunteers, City staff and the seniors
All paint and painting materials will be provided for you.
What to bring
- Hat, sunglasses
- Clothing should be appropriate for painting and the weather
- Sunscreen/Insect Repellent
- Water Bottle to ensure you stay hydrated
- You may want to bring your own snacks
- *Closed-toed shoes are required*
At all times the volunteers are supported by Seniors Services Supervisors and Workers in the following ways:
- Introduction to the Seniors Services Program and the specific Paint the Town project.
- Safety orientation and briefing to review procedures and any on-site hazards.
- Technical training on the safe use of equipment and products for accomplishing tasks.
How to apply
Seniors Services Division 403-476-7266
Volunteers will be required to sign photo and safety waivers.