Share this page Print

Neighbour Day FAQs

The following is a list of some of the more commonly asked questions regarding Neighbour Day.


Do I need a permit to host a block party?

Yes, The City of Calgary requires citizens to obtain a block party permit prior to closing a roadway for entertainment purposes. In your application you must include a map showing the location of the block party and the location of the temporary street closure.

Block party permits are required for Neighbour Day events that take place on:

  • One street*
  • A cul-de-sac
  • A back alley

*Note: Neighbour Day block party permit fees will NOT be waived for applications where more than one street is being closed.

Greenspace permits are required for Neighbour Day events that take place in a:

  • Park or greenspace

Permits are NOT required for Neighbour Day events that take place at a:

  • House
  • Backyard
  • Garage
  • Common area or room in condo building
  • Community centre (inside)

Is there a fee associated with a block party permit?

The City of Calgary will waive the $25 application fee for approved Neighbour Day block party events held on June 16, 2018. The City is also waiving the $52.17 parks venue booking fees for approved Neighbour Day events held on June 16, 2018.

Even though the fee for approved events is waived, proper permits are required to help ensure the safety of those individuals in attendance and to help identify any potential scheduling conflicts.

Examples of scheduling conflicts could include:

  • Your neighbours are moving and need access to the street for their moving truck
  • The picnic space at the park has already been reserved by another group
  • The street is being closed that day for scheduled City maintenance

Do my neighbours need to approve of the block party? What if one person says no?

Applicants must obtain a signed petition from all residents who will be impacted by the block party. The petition must be signed by the majority (80 per cent) of residents on the block including their names and addresses.

Please have residents indicate their approval or disapproval of the event. If a resident disapproves they should explain why.

What times can my block party take place?

Block parties can be set up between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. as per the weekend noise bylaw. More information about the noise bylaw can be found under Section 9 of the Community Standards Bylaw (#5M2004).

Are there other City regulations we should be aware of regarding block party permits?

Yes. The block must be occupied predominantly by owner/residents. The applicant must remain at the block party until its conclusion. No alcoholic beverages are permitted on the city right-of-way. No open fires are permitted on the city right-of-way.

When is the deadline to submit applications for block party permits and greenspace bookings?

The City of Calgary requires applications for block party permits & park venue bookings for June 16 events to be submitted by May 25, three weeks in advance of Neighbour Day. If you are applying for other kinds of permits needed for bigger events or because a feature of your event requires them (a special event and festival permit), those applications must be submitted 90 days in advance of Neighbour Day.

Why does The City need block party and greenspace permit applications to be submitted by May 25?

The City must review and approve all Neighbour Day applications individually to ensure they qualify to have their permit fees waived.

Is the cost of the Fire Temporary Occupant Load Card, Building Permit and inspection covered under Neighbour Day?

No, only block party permit and green space permit fees for approved events are waived on Neighbour Day. Please note that permits for athletic parks, playfields and arenas are not waived for Neighbour Day.

I own a bar in the neighbourhood. Can I close the road in front of my bar to hold a free pop-up concert?

Please contact for more information and to discuss the details of your event.


Food and Alcohol

My neighbours and I want to have potluck in the park beside our houses and serve free food to the neighbourhood. What permits do we need?

For more information regarding food service please contact Alberta Health Services.

Can we drink on the roadway outside our house?

No, alcoholic beverages are not permitted on City roadways.

Do we have to contact the Alberta Gaming & Liquor Commission directly to secure a liquor permit to drink outside our Community Association Building?

The inclusion of alcohol would make your event in-eligible for Neighbour Day. If you would like more information regarding alcohol at special events, please contact Alberta Gaming & Liquor Commission.

If you would like to continue with your event with alcohol please visit Calgary Festivals and events for further details.



Can I have a raffle at my event?

All gaming in Alberta, including raffles, require a license. For more information please contact the Alberta Gaming & Liquor Commission.


Related Links: