Share this page Print

Neighbour Day Permits

​Do I Need a Permit?

The City of Calgary requires citizens to obtain a block party permit prior to closing a
roadway for entertainment purposes.

If you are organizing a Neighbour Day event in a City park, visit green space bookings to obtain a permit.

Please submit your Neighbour Day block party and/or green space permit application by Friday, May 27.


Permit Fees

The City is waiving the $25 fee for block party permits and green space bookings for all approved events that take place on Neighbour Day (June 18).

Even though the fee for approved events is waived, proper permits are required to help ensure the safety of those individuals in attendance and to help identify any potential scheduling conflicts.

Examples of scheduling conflicts could include:

  • Your neighbours are moving and need access to the street for their moving truck
  • The picnic space at the park has already been reserved by another group
  • The street is being closed that day for scheduled City maintenance


If Applying for a Block Party Permit

Before applying, be sure to read the block party permit procedures and complete a block party petition form to make sure your event qualifies.

The following information must be included on your block party petition:

  • Date of the event
  • Address of the event
  • Names and addresses of all impacted residents within the block area
  • Applicant phone number and email address
  • A map showing where the block party will be held and where the barricades will be placed

The petition must be signed by the majority (80 per cent) of residents on the block including their names and addresses.

Please have residents indicate their approval or disapproval of the event. If a resident disapproves they should explain why.


Pick Up Your Road Barricades

Make arrangements to pick up your road barricades once your permit has been approved.


Additional Permits

Further City of Calgary regulations will apply if your event includes any of the following:

  • Liquor service
  • Open flame or pyrotechnics
  • Painting the pavement
  • More than 645 square feet or cumulative tent space on the event site

For more information about additional permits, please contact


Related Links: