Planning your Neighbour Day event is fun, easy and a great way to meet your neighbours. Here are four quick steps to get you started:
Step 1 - Pick Your Event
Reach out to your neighbours to help plan your event. Together, determine the type of event you want to have. This could include hosting a block party, organizing a picnic at your local park or lending a helping hand to tidy up a local green space. You decide.
Here’s a list of ideas to help get you started:
- host a block party on your residential street
- have a neighbourhood picnic at a local park
- host a neighbourhood potluck or front yard BBQ
- host afternoon tea in your backyard
- host an event with a Canada 150 theme
- organize a parade of lawn parties
- hold a street chalk drawing competition
- grab a Litter Cleanup Kit, get together and tidy up your park or natural area
- help your neighbour with their spring cleaning or gardening
- make up your own way to celebrate your community spirit in Calgary!
Step 2 - Book Permit (if required)
Are you thinking of closing your street or hosting your event at the local park? Make sure to get your block party permit or greenspace permit by May 26, 2017.
The City is waiving the $25 fee for block party permits and the $52.17 fee for green space bookings for all approved events that take place on Neighbour Day (June 17, 2017). These include:
- A block party which takes place on your single, residential street
- A neighourhood gathering or picnic which takes place at your local park
Not sure if your Neighbour Day event qualifies to have your permit fees waived? Check out our detailed guidelines and criteria page or contact 311 to confirm.
Step 3 - Invite Your Local Heroes
Did you know that you can invite some of your local heroes in the Calgary Police Service or Calgary Fire? They’d love to join your event! Maybe they’ll even bring their police cruisers or fire trucks for the kids to check out.
To invite the Calgary Police Service, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To extend an invitation to the Calgary Fire Department, request a City Service at 311 Online Services. Select 'Fire Dept. - Fire Truck Booking' in Service Type menu.
Please have the following information ready before submitting invitations:
- Date, time and location of the event
- Estimated number of attendees
- Type of event
- Contact information
We will do our best to accommodate all Neighbour Day invitations but due to the large amount of requests we cannot guarantee specific attendance at this time. You will receive a response to your invitation prior to the event.
Now you’re all set to start organizing your event with your neighbours! Visit the FAQs page and Tools and Resource page for event templates and a sample checklist.
On the day of your event, don’t forget to share your experience with us through social media by using #yycNeighbourDay!