Community and Neighbourhood Services
Community and Neighbourhood Services (CNS) is the City of Calgary's business unit tasked with addressing the social needs of the individuals and communities of Calgary. Here are some of the many things CNS has done in to support Calgarians:
- A new project called Strong Neighbourhoods supports strategies to help The City of Calgary and residents better understand what people value most about their neighbourhood, identify areas for improvement, and participate in the solutions to resolve them.
- CNS provided career and employment services to more than 5,700 youth.
- We supported over 140 community associations in the stewardship of capital assets and delivery of programs and services.
- We supervised 2,064 individual youth who participated in the Calgary AfterSchool Program.
- We provided over 2,600 hours of social and recreational programming in partnership with Calgary's community associations through the Stay 'n' Play and Park 'n' Play programs.
- We provided 2,500 low-income youth with school supplies through the Staples for Education program.
- We delivered 23,467 home maintenance services free of charge to Calgarians over age 65 living on low fixed income.
- Assisted 181 seniors acquire home maintenance funding via grants from federal and provincial governments.
CNS strengthens individuals and communities to thrive by working strategically and with partners to address social and recreational needs.
Our lines of business
- Facilitates/provides access for individuals, families, and communities to a broad range of social services and recreational opportunities.
- Leverages funding of preventative social services through partnerships and co-operative relationships.
- Supports community-based organizations through consultations, education, referral and advocacy. Provides social research and policy analysis, to guide effective decision-making.