If you are a customer or guest at a bar, nightclub or at a special event, the Public Safety Task Force is working to keep you safe through the Bar and Nightclub Safety Program. So relax and have a good time, but also look around. When you enter any building or tent where large numbers of people are gathered, you also have to take responsibility for your own personal safety.
Before entering the building
- Does the building appear to be in a condition that makes you feel safe?
- Is the main entrance wide and does it open outward to allow for easy evacuation?
After entering the premises
- Locate all available exits, and check for clear exit paths. Are the exits clearly marked and well lit?
- Be prepared to use the exit closest to you, in case you are unable to reach the main exit.
- There must be at least two clearly marked exits that are not blocked.
- Does the building appear to be overcrowded?
- Are there fire sources such as candles, pyrotechnics, or other heat sources that make you feel unsafe?
Report any violations to the management or call 311
- Ask questions if you have concerns. Then leave the building immediately if they are not addressed.
- To report concerns regarding fire and life-safety issues at public establishments or gatherings, call the Calgary Fire Department or 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-2489 (from outside of Calgary).