Share this page Print

Kitchen and cooking safety tips

Kitchen fires and cooking are the leading cause of injury in the home, making prevention of kitchen fires and cooking safety a priority for the Calgary Fire Department. Some important safety tips for preventing kitchen fires are cooking injuries are:

  • Never leave cooking unattended, stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling or boiling food.
  • If you must leave the kitchen, turn off the stove and remove the pot from the burner.
  • Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan.
  • Never hold a child while you are cooking or carrying hot foods or liquids.
  • To prevent overheating and ignition of cooking oil, fry foods in a temperature controlled deep-fat fryer or skilley designed for a maximum temperature of 200 °C.
  • Make sure to use dry oven mitts and potholders to prevent scalding or burns.
  • Use the stove’s back burners whenever possible and turn pot handles inward to reduce the risk of pots being knocked over.
  • Place hot foods and liquids in the centre of the table or towards the back of a counter and out of the reach of young children.

Stovetop and Oven Safety Tips

  • Use the stove’s back burners whenever possible and turn pot handles inward to reduce the risk of pots being knocked over.
  • Keep children and pets at least one metre away from the stove.
  • Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, and other items that can burn, away from your stovetop.
  • Remember not to store combustible or flammable items in the bottom drawer of the oven.
  • In case of an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
  • Clean food and grease from the oven and stovetop once it has cooled.

Microwave Oven Safety Tips

  • Plug the microwave oven directly into the wall outlet; do not use an extension cord.
  • Use only microwave oven-safe food containers or dishes.
  • Never use aluminum foil or metal in a microwave oven.
  • Food heats unevenly in a microwave oven and can be too hot to eat. Stir and test before eating or giving to children.
  • Slowly open food that has been heated up in a microwave oven-safe container away from the face. Hot steam can cause burns.
  • If a fire starts in the microwave oven, leave the door closed, turn it off and unplug it from the wall. Get out and call 9-1-1.