A career with the Calgary Fire Department is exciting, fulfilling, diverse and challenging. If you thrive on teamwork, want to help those in need, and have a desire to contribute to your community, consider becoming a firefighter.
As a potential applicant, you should learn all you can about the Calgary Fire Department, firefighting, the duties of a firefighter, and our technical teams. You should be aware that our selection process is competitive and comprehensive, and that you will be asked to give specific details relating to your past history, personal ethics, integrity and values. You need to maintain a daily fitness regime and have superb strength, stamina and cardiovascular conditioning to be successful not only in the hiring process but in recruit training as well.
Calgary firefighters share four core values: Pride, Professionalism, Teamwork, and Respect. What do these values mean for you? Firefighters hold a unique position of trust, and maintain a level of professionalism and a positive attitude both on and off the job. An ideal candidate's lifestyle exhibits ethical and responsible choices and behaviours. He or she accepts accountability for their actions and avoids inappropriate or illegal activities.
A thorough self-assessment will assist you when considering how your personal character, attributes and strengths fit with the qualities we seek and in recognizing what skills you need to develop to become a viable and competitive applicant.
Things to consider before applying
- Before you submit your firefighter application, take the time to learn all you can about the job and requirements. Familiarize yourself with the job tasks and the different steps in the selection process. Do your homework; better to be over prepared than not at all!
- Although exciting, this is also a dangerous job. You may be exposed to many hazardous conditions, loud noises, and contaminants, and have to work in extreme temperatures.
- If you live out of city, you need to be financially prepared to travel to Calgary more than a few times to complete the various testing events. It is not always possible to participate in multiple tests in one trip.
- A commitment to maintaining a daily fitness regime and monitoring your personal wellness is essential to ensuring personal safety and longevity. Make sure you have the strength, stamina and cardiovascular conditioning required to take on the physical challenges of this career.
- Ethical behaviour and accountability must be part of your nature. Taking responsibility for and ownership of your actions is vital to success in the hiring process.
- Job fit is one of many critical factors considered in our decision making processes. Successful completion of all steps in the process does not ensure a job offer.
- You must be able to follow and act on complex oral and written instructions; you will be evaluated on these skills throughout our assessments.
- Your demeanor and input throughout the selection process are taken into consideration as part of your final hiring decision.