Only the most qualified applicants will be chosen to move forward in the Firefighter selection process.
What do I need to apply?
Before you apply, you are required to:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have at least a High school diploma or equivalency
- Have a valid Class 5 driver's license or provincial / territorial equivalent without a Graduated Driver’s License (GLD) status and with
- less than 7 demerit points
- no current or pending suspensions
- Be at least 3 years clear from any criminal activity. This includes having no criminal charges pending before the courts
- Have been granted a pardon or record suspension for any criminal convictions
- Meet these drug use parameters:
- No more than 1 soft drug usage (e.g.: marijuana, hashish, hash oil, mushrooms) within 1 year of the application date
- No more than 3 soft drug usages within 3 years of the application date
- No hard drug use (e.g.: steroids, cocaine, meth, fentanyl) within 3 years of the application date
- Meet all our immunization requirements
To complete the selection process, you must meet all of the medical and fitness requirements. You will also have to provide proof of having any item listed on this page.
How can I make my application stronger?
Our selection process is very competitive. If you have any of the skills or qualifications listed below, include them on your application to make it stronger.
You do not need your EMR, CPR or professional driver’s license to apply but you will have to get them before you can complete the selection process.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree
- Journeyman Certificate
- Firefighter training
- Experience as a full-time firefighter; including military, seasonal, forestry, paid on call, volunteer
- Experience in Emergency Services or uniformed Public Servant roles (Law Enforcement, EMS, Military, Corrections, Park Ranger, Peace Officer)
- Lifeguard, ski patrol, search and rescue
- Cadet Program (Fire, Police, Sea, Air, Army, etc)
- Volunteering and/or community involvement (unpaid positions not including firefighting)
- Fluent in languages other than English
All costs for getting and renewing any licenses, certifications, and/or other designations are at the applicant’s expense.