This page is full of tips that can help you and your family be safe from fire. Don't forget to check out the related links for more information.
Smoke alarms are tools that can tell if there is smoke in the air. They work even if you can't smell smoke. Smoke alarms make a very loud beeping noise to warn you that a fire has started. When you hear the loud noise, follow your home escape plan and get out fast.
Fire Escape Plan
Have you ever wondered what you would do if there was a fire in your home? Or why it is important to have a fire escape plan?
Well, fires can be scary and confusing. They can be loud, burn very fast, and their smoke can make a room or home very dark. It helps to have a plan so you'll know what to do to get out of your home. Dont forget:
- Find two ways out from every room in your home.
- The first way out should be a door.
- Plan and practice your escape plan.
- Before opening any door in a fire, feel it first. If it is hot, there may be fire on the other side. Try to get out another way.
- Stay low to the floor when escaping a fire.
- Pick safe meeting place outside the home.
- Call 9-1-1 from a safe phone
- Stay outside no matter what. Don't go back for anything!
If your clothes catch on fire:
You should know what to do if your clothes catch on fire. By learning and practicing the Stop, Drop and Roll method, you will know what to do.
immediately! Do not run or attempt to remove your clothing
to the ground as quickly and safety as possible
on the ground so that the flames are smothered completely. While rolling, cover your face with your hands.