Call 9-1-1 anytime a person's health, safety or property is at immediate risk, including any crimes in progress such as impaired driving. Drinking and driving puts people's lives and property at risk, so identifying the signs can help stop drunk drivers before it's too late. Calgary 9-1-1 has partnered with the Calgary Police Service and Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) to help RID your community of drunk drivers.
Top 10 possible signs of an impaired driver are:
- Driving unreasonably fast, slow or at an inconsistent speed.
- Drifting in and out of lanes.
- Tailgating and changing lanes frequently.
- Making exceptionally wide turns.
- Changing lanes or passing without sufficient clearance.
- Overshooting or stopping well before stop signs or stop lights.
- Disregarding signals and lights.
- Approaching signals or leaving intersections too quickly or slowly.
- Driving without headlights, failing to lower high beams or leaving turn signals on.
- Driving with windows open in cold or bad weather.
If you see a driver who is showing any of these signs, pull over then call 9-1-1. Do not attempt to follow the driver or place yourself in danger.