Has an individual or organization made a significant contribution in your community or to Calgary as a whole? If so, consider honouring them with a commemoration piece within a City park.
Who can I nominate?
Nominees must be one of the following:
- A prominent individual or organization who has contributed to a related sport, activity or area of interest.
- An individual of recognized stature, such as a political, humanitarian or some other field of endeavour.
- An individual who has achieved some form of City-wide recognition or involvement and/or recognition through involvement in community service.
- The individual or organization responsible for the development of the park in Calgary.
- An individual or organization who has contributed significantly to the total costs of a project.
What kind of commemorations are available?
Commemoration pieces can be in a variety of forms including, plaques, benches, trees, fountains, planting beds and other park amenities.
Please review the Commemoration Guidelines prior to proceeding with the application process.
How to apply for a commemoration
An application for a commemoration can be completed online. Alternately,
- Print off and complete the Application for Commemoration form and mail to: P.O. Box 2100, Stn. M (#54), Calgary, AB T2P 2M5, Attention: Park Commemoration, or
- Call 311 or 403-268-CITY (2489) if calling outside Calgary.
Apply for a Park Commemoration or Memorial
A representative from The City will contact the nominator to discuss request. If approved, the following documentation will be required:
- The nominees field of endeavour (eg. civic affairs, parks, sports, etc.) and brief biography.
- Biographical/background information and reasons, including historical significance of names and/or location where name is to be used.
- Where applicable, written consent from the nominee of his/her estate that use of the name is granted.
- Proposed wording for signage or plaque related to the commemoration.
A location map indicating the commemoration area or asset.
- Letters from affected or interested members of council demonstrating they have been advised of proposed naming request.
- Letters of support from recognized organization in support of commemoration request.
- Letter from nominator including identification of any associated costs and confirmation of funding source.
Upon approval from the Parks Commemoration Committee and the Director of Parks, the commemoration piece will be installed/established.
For more information, please contact Parks.