Calgary Parks volunteer opportunities are grouped below. Choose the best match for your interests, then call 311 or email us to get involved.
- Individuals or groups wire trees to help protect trees in parks with high beaver activity.
- Volunteer events are planned in the following parks or communitites. Email us to register or for more information.
- Edworthy Park (May 13)
- Inglewood Community (May 20)
- Rideau Community (June 10)
- Individuals assist us to identify park project in their community and organize community volunteers for projects.
- Projects may include; painting benches or picnic tables, invasive species pulls and park cleanups.
- Individual sign up - or call 311
- Individuals or groups make short commitments to promote responsible pet etiquette in off-leash dog parks.
- Acitivities include attending scheduled P.U.P.P.Y. events with Parks staff where volunteers may participate in park cleanup and distribute dog waste pick-up bags and other materials to park users.
- Group sign up | Individual sign up
- Adopt-a-Rink is a winter volunteer program through which volunteers help flood and maintain existing community pleasure skating rinks throughout Calgary.
Parks Interpretive Experience and Inglewood Bird Sanctuary Hosts
- Individuals make commitments of 6 shifts per season to volunteer as park interpreters at either Prince’s Island Park, Inglewood Bird Sanctuary, Nose Hill Park or Carburn Park.
- Activities include greeting park visitors, providing information, presenting interpretive biofacts and simple interpretive activities to visitors, and promoting upcoming Parks programming.
- Parks Interpretive Experience positions are seasonal and run May - October.
- Sanctuary Host positions are year round and subject to availability.
- Individual sign up
Cemetery Tour Volunteers
- Cemetery Tour Volunteers use stories, artifacts, and a unique location (cemeteries) to connect citizens to historic figures and times, and create a memorable visitor experience.
- Positions are seasonal and run May - October.
- Individual sign up
Group Volunteer Opportunities
- Help us to maintain and beautify parks and green spaces in Calgary through volunteerism.
- Looking for a volunteer project for your company or group? Not afraid to get dirty? Join the Parks Environmental Education team on a Green Initiative project! Opportunities include; tree wiring, invasive species pulls, painting projects, playground facelifts and more.
- Group sign up
Become a Parks Volunteer
Calgary parks provide us all with spaces to connect with nature, the community, and our history. We invite you to partner with us to take care of parks, green spaces, playgrounds, pathways, trees, natural areas, and off-leash areas; conduct ecological research; or provide park users with engaging interpretive experiences.
We encourage volunteers of all backgrounds, abilities and experience to contribute. A screening policy is in place for all potential volunteers. This may include police information checks. Once accepted, volunteers receive orientation, training, and other support.
A huge thank you to the thousands of Parks volunteers! Without you our parks would not be the wonderful, vibrant places they are