Join us for the Culture Days Block Party on Friday September 30!
The 2016 Culture Days Block Party will take place over the lunch hours on Friday, September 30! Mark your calendar and be ready to come down to Olympic Plaza, between 11am and 2pm, for this kick-off to a three-day celebration of Calgary's vibrant art and cultural life!
Running September 30, October 1 and 2, 2016, Culture Days is an annual pan-Canadian movement to raise the awareness, accessibility, participation and engagement of all Canadians in the arts and cultural life of their communities. Visit culturedays.ca for more information on the many events taking place around the country, or to register a Culture Days event of your own.
Thank you for attending in 2015
A big thank you to everyone including the many performers, and arts and culture partners who came out to help us kick off Culture Days at the free block party on Friday, Sept. 25. The event saw Olympic Plaza & Stephen Avenue Walk came alive celebrating some of Calgary's best arts and culture talent.
Visit the Facebook event
page to check out some of the best photos from the event.
The party included an array of interactive and fun activities, workshops and
- Alberta Printmakers – Steamroller printmaking demonstrations
- Arts Commons showcase Latin dance performance by Havana Cuban Dance Studio
- Bafut Manjong Cultural Association of Calgary - traditional dance performance typical of the Bafut people from the Western Highlands of Cameroon
- Calgary Korean Art Club dance performance
- Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra – string quartet playing from their upcoming pop series
- Calgary Society of Independent Filmmakers
- City of Calgary Public Art Program
- Cowtown Opera performance
- derek beaulieu poetry reading
- Dueling Pianos - playing hits and taking requests
- Estrelas Do Samba Company - Brazilian Samba showcase
- First Nations dance performance
- Food Trucks – The Naaco Truck and Subs N’ Bubbles
- Glenbow Museum’s Art on the Mall – interactive art
- Green Fools – circus workshops
- Jubilee Auditorium’s Instrument Petting Zoo
- Krakusy Polish Folk Dance Association performance
- Live music set featuring 2015 Juno Nominee Joanna Borromeo, Ruben Young and Justine Tyrell – performing as part of the 50 Days YYC festival
- Neil Zeller photography workshops
- Nur Box Theatre – featuring short films from the Calgary International Film Festival
- Open Streets – Bicycle Show & Shine and Pedal Power demonstrations
- The Peak 95.3 and 101.5 Kool FM - Learn what it takes to be a radio announcer
- Pulse Studios street team - B-boy dancers
- Rainika PhotoGraphik – tintype photo demonstrations
- Theatre Calgary – interactive Art
- Tri-tone Rhythm Ensemble tap dance performance
- Vox Box Studios DJ Skool – DJ performances and workshops
- Wise and Wilful Women Betty Hersberger, Karen Gummo and Mary Hays and Wild Storyteller Marie Bryce – telling the story of Isabella Lougheed, Nellie McClung and Mary Scott Widner