Please note: The content on this page is for current program registrants. If you would like more information on our playschool programs, please visit Village Square.
September 2016 - June 2017 begins February 7, 2016 at 6 p.m. Spaces are filling up fast but there are available spots for all ages register in person at Village Square Leisure Centre. Registration is available if paying in full online calgary.ca/recreation (you must have a family pin number for online registration to acquire the pin call 403-268-3800 minimum 3 days prior).
Welcome to Playschool 2016 - 2017
Thank you for registering your child in Playschool at Village Square Leisure Centre. Your child's classroom calendars and newsletters will be posted below each month. Please check regularly for updated information.
Welcome to our school! Our staff is looking forward to working with your child this year. We have lots of fun and active learning in store for your child. We are a play-based program and strive to provide a positive, active environment in all classes. Our goal is to teach social skills, physical literacy as well as academics. Our well rounded programs ensures your child develops in all areas and will be ready for kindergarten by the end of the 4 year old program.
Reminders, news & tips
Your child's speech development, where should they be?
This link is a very good resource to help you evaluate if your child's progress is within the norm. If you have concerns please talk to your child's teacher or if starting the September and would like a professional assessment contact 403-366-3926 to acquire a form for the LEAD Foundation.
Emergency contact information
Please ensure you provide accurate emergency contact information with your child's teacher. It is also important to provide every possible person that may pick up your child on the child pick-up information form. We will not release your child to anyone not listed.
Arena door access
The lower level arena doors will be accessible for your convenience to access the playschool with not barriers or stairs.
On the first day
- Make sure your child has a good night’s sleep and a hearty breakfast or lunch.
- Come to the classroom, take off their coat and backpack and sign-in.
- Suggest they use the washroom and help them the first few times.
- Settle them down at a table or toy.
- Tell your child when you are leaving and reassure them you will come back when Playschool is over. Do not try sneaking out. It will help them to understand that you will be returning.
- If a child is unsure, leave a belonging of importance to you (i.e. keys, watch or a photograph of the family).
- Leave with a hug, kiss and a smile.
- Leave as quickly as possible! If you hesitate they will sense your worry or concern confirming their fears and escalating their anxiety.
- If we feel your child is not settling, we will contact you. Stay in the Centre out of sight for the hour if you have any concerns.
- We may cover our windows to avoid the children seeing concerned parents loitering which often creates more anxiety for many children, not just yours!
- Please resist the temptation to peek back in the room or through the windows as it disrupts the class and will add to your child’s anxiety if they see you.
- Please remember to call your child's classroom and leave a message if you need to communicate with your child's instructors. Classroom phone numbers are above and at the top of your monthly calendar.
- Remember to check your child's mailbox each day for notices, crafts, etc.
- Please ensure that your child uses the washroom before class.
- Village Square is a peanut-aware facility. Please read your labels and refrain from sending products containing nuts.
- Please send a change of clothes in your child’s back pack, even if they are toilet trained! We sometimes need to change clothes due to sickness, a snack spill or water table fun.
- They also need a pair of indoor shoes that may be left in the classroom.
- Please remember to label your child’s belongings.
- When the weather cooperates, we love to play outside! Please make your child is dressed appropriately for the weather.
- Parents, please apply sunscreen and bug spray before you drop your child off with us.
- Parking and a separate entrance is available on the northeast side of the building.
- Please retain the program receipt you received upon registration for tax purposes. A copy will not be reissued.
Withdrawing from Playschool
Cancellation Requests are subject to a $20 withdrawal fee. Refunds (if applicable) will be processed from the date of withdrawal and prorated for the remaining days left in the program, regardless of attendance.
Credit card information changes
Please contact our office immediately if your credit card information needs to be changed for any reason (new credit card, new expiry date, lost or stolen credit card). Changes must be reported no later than the 25th day of the month to facilitate the necessary changes.
Declined or late payments
Payments are due on the first day of each month. Unreported changes to Credit Card information resulting in a rejected payment, declined credit cards, late payments or outstanding balances will result in a $25 NSF/declined charge and could result in withdrawal from the course.
If you would like your child to celebrate their birthday with their class, please talk to the instructor. If you decide to bring a birthday treat in for your child’s special day, please make sure it is nut free and all other allergies in the classroom are considered, please get this information from your teacher prior. The treats need to be individually wrapped with and the ingredients need to be brought in to the teachers. Some suggestions for a treat bag could contain pencil and eraser, crayons, small dollar store toys, small cup cakes, cookies, fruit or granola bars.
Other programs for preschoolers at Village Square Leisure Centre. See the Fall 2016 Program Guide for details. Is your preschooler interested in games, stories, songs, crafts, dance, sports and more? Village Square Leisure Centre has a wide variety of parented and unparented programs to suit your preschooler's needs. Call 403-268-3800 for more information or register on line today!
Playschool calendars - (October)
In some cases mobile browsers cannot open PDFs without the appropriate app installed. It’s the same situation on PC desktops as well. If you don’t have a Chrome or Safari browser, then you need to download the Acrobat Reader. It’s available for Android phones as well and free to download!