Opening in 2017
Located at 11300 Rocky Ridge Rd. N.W., Rocky Ridge recreation facility sits within a natural park with views of the city and mountains, tucked between an existing hill that reaches Calgary’s highest natural elevation and a reconstructed wetland. The approximately 284,000 square foot building is designed to complement the surrounding landscape.
Teams, individuals and families of all ages and abilities will come together to enjoy this unique outdoor and indoor recreation experience. Proposed amenities include:
- 25m, 8 lane competition pool
- Spectator viewing area
- Leisure pool with a wave system and water slides
- Hot tubs and steam room
- 1 multi-purpose ice rink
- 1 leisure ice rink
- 3 full gymnasiums with multi-purpose flooring
- Fitness centre with cardio and strength training equipment
- Fitness/aerobics studios
- Running/walking track
- Large and small rooms for use as studios, classrooms and meeting spaces
- 3,000 sq. ft. library with access to print and digital materials, hold pick up, public seating and study space
- Art making, studio and gallery space
- 300 seat theatre (approximate)
- Food services
- Physiotherapy/medical clinic
- Outdoor basketball court
- Pathways and nature trails/interpretative
- Outdoor play structures
- Skateboard park
See the Rocky Ridge facility design.
YMCA Calgary (operator)
This City-owned facility is operated by YMCA Calgary as part of a shared commitment to provide quality health and recreation opportunities for Calgarians. YMCA Calgary will provide opportunities for ongoing collaboration and engagement to ensure the service model is responsive to community needs. For more information, visit YMCA Calgary
Calgary Public Library
Rocky Ridge will include a 3,000 square foot open concept public library focused on accessibility and convenience. Visitors will have access to print and digital materials, hold pick up, public seating and study space. The self-service model makes this the first library of its kind in Calgary. To learn more, visit the Calgary Public Library. *Approximate and subject to change.
Construction in Progress
Crews began working on Rocky Ridge in 2014 and construction is expected to take approximately three years. Check out the latest construction aerial shots in the gallery below to see the transformation.