11300 Rocky Ridge Rd. N.W.
Opening in 2017*
The Rocky Ridge recreation facility will uniquely sit within a natural park with views of the city and mountains, tucked between an existing hill that reaches Calgary’s highest natural elevation and a reconstructed wetland. The approximately 284,000 sq. ft. building is designed to complement the surrounding rolling landscape.
Teams, individuals and families of all ages and abilities will come together to enjoy this unique extraordinary outdoor and indoor recreation experience through the following proposed amenities:
- 25m, 8 lane competition pool
- Spectator viewing area
- Leisure pool with a wave system and water slides
- Hot tubs and steam room
- 1 multi-purpose ice rink
- 1 leisure ice rink
- 3 full gymnasiums with multi-purpose flooring
- Fitness centre with cardio and strength training equipment
- Fitness/aerobics studios
- Running/walking track
- Large and small rooms for use as studios, classrooms and meeting spaces
- 3,000 sq. ft. library with access to print and digital materials, hold pick up, public seating and study space
- Art making, studio and gallery space
- 300 seat theatre (approximate)
- Food services
- Physiotherapy/medical clinic
- Outdoor basketball court
- Pathways and nature trails/interpretative
- Outdoor play structures
- Skateboard park
See the Rocky Ridge facility design.
- Construction is underway on the Rocky Ridge recreation facility. Watch the construction celebration below or read the blog post.
- The City presented the final designs and plans for the Rocky Ridge recreation facility at a public information session on January 23, 2014 at the Silver Springs Community Centre. The event provided an opportunity for residents to see the building design and plans for the surrounding landscape.
- Learn more about the Rocky Ridge recreation facility public art in development
Construction in Progress
Crews began working on the Rocky Ridge site in 2014 and construction is expected to take approximately three years.
Check out the latest construction aerial shots in the gallery below to see the transformation.
The City of Calgary is working with YMCA Calgary as the Rocky Ridge facility operator.
Over the next year, The City and YMCA Calgary will be working together to develop the program and service model.
The YMCA intends the facility to be responsive to community needs. Prior to opening, the YMCA will ensure that key stakeholders are consulted and processes for ongoing collaboration and engagement are established.
To learn more, visit YMCA Calgary.
Calgary Public Library
Rocky Ridge will include a 3,000 square foot open concept public library focused on accessibility and convenience. Visitors will have access to print and digital materials, hold pick up, public seating and a study space. The self-service model is the first library of its kind in Calgary.
To learn more, visit the Calgary Public Library.
*Approximate and subject to change.