The City of Calgary Recreation is renovating and expanding Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Centre. The facility is more than 40 years old and redevelopment will help revitalize this important community hub while increasing the diversity of programming and fitness opportunities available.
- expanded lobby and entrance area
- larger weight room and dedicated fitness studio
- new fitness equipment
- addition of an elevator
- reconstructed hot tub and steam room areas
Weight Room and Fitness Studio
Currently, the facility has a shared space for fitness programming and weight training. This limits class sizes for registered programs and can be distracting for program participants and weight users alike. Designs for the new, extended second level include a larger weight room and dedicated fitness studio, creating more privacy and minimizing disruption to other users. Larger spaces also provide more opportunities for facility goers to participate.
Impacts to Programming
Canyon Meadows staff are working with neighbouring City of Calgary recreation facilities to minimize impacts to users who may be displaced during the closure. This includes exploring opportunities for additional popular programming at Acadia Aquatic & Fitness Centre, Glenmore Aquatic Centre and Southland Leisure Centre.
Canyon Meadows will be closed from June 29, 2015 until spring 2017.
Opened in 1972, Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Centre has been serving the neighbouring community for more than 40 years. New and improved space and amenities will ensure the facility continues to provide value for Calgarians through a diversity of programming and fitness opportunities.
We understand the impact that a temporary closure has on the community and ask for your patience as we work to complete the project in a timely and cost-effective way.
Recreation and its Consultants considered options to minimize the duration of the closure and/or allow for some continued programming. However, the extent of the renovations, which impact the fitness and pool areas, as well as limit access to the building mean a partial closure is not possible. Staff are working to devise parallel programming at neighbouring City facilities.
Renovations in the 1990s added a second storey to the facility to accommodate additional fitness space and programming. 20 years later, Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Centre is updating amenities and creating additional user space.
Canyon Meadows customers are encouraged to take advantage of nearby City of Calgary Recreation facilities during the closure:
There are several options for pass holders:
- Customers can receive a prorated refund on 10X, 30X, monthly or annual passes.
- Customers can apply the prorated refund towards the purchase of a Tier 1 pass or Leisure Centre pass. For a list of Tier 1 facilities, visit the Build-a-Pass page.
- Customers can continue to use their Tier 2 pass at any other City of Calgary Aquatic & Fitness Centre (Leisure Centres excluded). For a list of Tier 1 and 2 facilities, visit the Aquatic & Fitness Centres page.
- Before renewing your pass: there are several options available for regular pass holders who may be affected by the closure. Before renewing, visit the Build-a-Pass page for Tiers and terms.
Construction may have temporary impacts on the community. Park Users will not have access to the washrooms at Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Centre and parking may be restricted to the street.
We understand that construction creates additional dust and noise. We ask for your patience as we work to minimize impacts to neighbouring residents. The contractor adheres to The City Community Standards Bylaw, 5M2004 for hours of operation, material storage and construction best practices, including dust mitigation.