The Glenmore Reservoir supplies Calgarians with drinking water and recreational opportunities, and is used to control the downstream flow of the Elbow river. The three main uses of the Glenmore Reservoir, in order of importance, are:
- Supply drinking water to Calgarians
- Flood control and down stream management
- Recreation and non-motorized boating
The reservoir is also home to the Glenmore Sailing School, where sailing lessons, boat rentals and stall rentals are offered.
Hours of operation
Glenmore Reservoir opens May 1st (if clear of ice) and closes October 31.
Boat Patrol is on the water:
- May 1 to the September long weekend, daylight hours 7 days / week
- September long weekend to October long weekend, reduced hours 7 days / week
- October long weekend to Oct. 31, reduced hours weekends only
- Heritage Park boat launch - 8003 14 St. S.W.
- Calgary Canoe and Rowing Club - North Glenmore Park off 24 St. S.W.
- Glenmore Sailing School - 8415 24 St. S.W.
- Variety Park 84 12 24. St. S.W.
- Washrooms are locked overnight.
Glenmore Boat Patrol
The Glenmore Boat Patrol is responsible for:
- Environmental Stewardship
- Safety and rescue
A green flag is displayed when the boat rescue staff are at the three boat launch sites. Boat rescue may be contacted by using the radios located at each of the three launch sites near the green flags.
Docks and launch ramps
Docks and launch ramps are for public use of the Reservoir. Vehicle launch ramps and hand launching are located at:
- South Glenmore Park - access 90 Ave. and 24 St. S.W.
- Heritage boat launch on Heritage Dr. west of 14 St. S.W.
- Canoe and Rowing Club in North Glenmore Park, 24 St. S.W. off Crowchild Trail (hand launch only - no vehicle launch)
When boating, remember other people are using the same facilities to launch so please be courteous.
The City and Province enforce bylaws with respect to the Glenmore Reservoir including:
- Boating use only between May 1 and October 31
- Approved Life jackets or PFDs (personal floatation devices) must be worn at all times while the boat is on the water
- No drinking of alcohol
- No pet in water or on boats
- No swimming in the Reservoir
- No inflatables
- No power motors
- No fishing from docks or ramps (fishing is permitted in non-motorized boats and along the shore)