Calgary Recreation wants turn the curve on sedentary behaviours and lifestyles in Calgary. #GetMovingYYC is an awareness-raising campaign aimed at getting more Calgarians, more active, and creative more often. Working with our sector partners and the community, #GetMovingYYC invites Calgarians to ‘join the movement’ by committing to move more every day.
Find activities that fit your daily life
Moving more doesn’t have to be a big commitment. Making small changes to your everyday routine can have a huge impact on your health. Exercise doesn’t have to be something that you schedule for a specific time of day. It also doesn’t have to include a destination. Find physical activities that fit naturally into your routine. Ride your bike or walk to work or to get groceries, take your dog on walks more frequently, or participate in activities with family and friends.
Reframe exercise from “work” to “fun”
When we enjoy something and it makes us feel good, we are much more motivated to do it. That’s because we see the activity itself as its own reward. Find physical activities you enjoy doing and it’ll be much easier for you to be naturally active throughout your day.
Try the TV Commercial Workout
Staying in tonight? Challenge yourself or your family to do the following activities during commercial breaks.
|Beauty commercial – 20 jumping jacks
||Car commercial – 20 arm circles|
|Food commercial – 30 seconds wall sit
||Health commercial – 20 push ups|
|Jewelry commercial 10 hops on each foot
||Travel commercial - 20 alternating lunges|
|PSA commercial – 30 seconds high knees
||Movie trailer – 30 seconds balance on each foot|
Cool Weather Ideas
- Freeze water balloons, take the balloon off once frozen and you’ll have outdoor bowling “balls” ready to go. Long, narrow balloons can be frozen the same way for pins.
- Grab a crazy carpet or toboggan, find a hill, and let’er rip!
- Combine food colouring and water in a spray bottle and paint the snow.
- Hula hoop. It is much more challenging in winter gear!
- Have a snowball toss. Create a target in the snow and have at’er!
- Make a snow bakeshop. Take baking pans and molds outside so you can make snow cakes, muffins, pies and other treats.
Community Walking Maps
These are 1, 2.5, 5 and 10 kilometer walking loops that start and end at City of Calgary facilities. They are available as a printed resource at all City pools and arenas and are downloadable at calgary.ca. Explore the community using the maps as a guide or get moving while you wait for your favourite program to start. Waiting for a family member? Walk while you wait. Find a walking map of your favourite City of Calgary facility and learn about walking safety.