Share this page Print

Have an emergency plan for your pet

In the event of a disaster or evacuation, your pet may be displaced. Having a plan in place beforehand can greatly reduce the stress of an emergency situation. Be sure to consult your vet when developing an emergency plan and kit for your pet.

Cats and dogs

  1. Ensure your cat or dog has some form of identification, such as a collar, a microchip, or a tattoo.
  2. License your pet. If you are separated from your pet during an emergency, there is a better chance of a safe reunion if your pet is licensed. 
  3. Get a Pet Safety Sticker. If you are not at home during an evacuation, this sticker will inform responders that there are pets living in the house. The direct responders will then take your pets to our Animal Services Centre, where you can pick up your pet. Your pet may need to be housed in animal shelters or foster homes if you are away for long periods of time and are unable to retrieve your pet.
  4. Ask an out-of-town friend or relative if they’d be willing to take care of your pet in the event of an emergency. Your pet may need to be housed by a friend or family member if you are displaced by an emergency. 
  5. Be sure these items are included in your 72-hour kit:
    • a current photo of your pet
    • a copy of your pet license
    • a copy of your pet insurance
    • any medication
    • food and water
    • toys, leash, etc.


Use a small, secured, covered carrier when transporting your bird to help your bird avoid injury and stress. Have materials to line the bottom of the cage, such as newspapers. If traveling in cold weather, always warm the interior of your vehicle before moving your bird. You may want to consider bringing a hot water.

Reptiles (snakes, lizards, turtles)

Place your reptile in a small, secure transport carrier. Allow lizards or snakes to soak in shallow water before bagging or caging.

Amphibians (frogs, newts, salamanders)

Use a water-tight plastic bag or container to transport your pet. It is best to place only one animal per container. Small ventilation holes should be punched at the top of the container. For aquatic species, fill a plastic bag one third full of water, then inflate the bag with fresh air and close with a knot or rubber band. It is best to use clean water from the animal’s enclosure to minimize stress.

If I am evacuated to a Reception Centre, where does my pet go?

Be sure to bring all of your pet’s supplies with you in the event of an evacuation. Reception centres operated by the Calgary Emergency Management Agency will help you find a place for your pet. This may be a pet shelter or through The City of Calgary. With the exception of service dogs, your pet may be sheltered in a different location than your reception centre. ​