High winds, low temperatures, heavy snowfall and even freezing rain can occur during a Calgary winter. Winter storms have the potential to disrupt power to your home and community, and have the potential to affect your plans. It’s important to be prepared as these kinds of storms can hit quickly and without warning.
How do I get ready for a winter storm?
- Know the weather forecast.
- Have a 72-hour kit in your home in case you are unable to leave your home due to weather conditions.
- Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle, and ensure that your vehicle’s gas tank is at least half-full.
What should I do during a winter storm?
- Don’t venture out if extreme weather conditions are expected. If you must travel, let someone know where you’re going, your route, and your expected arrival time. You may want to consider using public transportation to avoid driving in less than ideal road conditions.
- Keep warm!
- If you are going out, ensure you are dressed for the weather and have layers to add or remove in the case of changing weather.
- Have a working carbon monoxide detector and be especially cautious if you are using generators or space heaters indoors.