- Don’t go near it. Always assume that downed lines are energized. Keep yourself and others at least 10 meters (33 feet) from the wires or anything in contact with the wires.
- Warn others in the area of the danger.
- Don’t attempt to drive over a downed electrical wire. If the wire has fallen on a car, do not approach the car or attempt to rescue the person in the car.
- If you are in a vehicle with a downed line touching it, do not get out of the car unless the car is on fire. Stay in the vehicle and do not touch any of the metal parts of the vehicle.
- If you must get out because of fire, jump as far as you can away from the vehicle, then hop or shuffle your feet to minimize the path of the electric current through your body and avoid shock.
To report a downed power line in Calgary, call Enmax Power Trouble Line at 403-514-6100 or 9-1-1 immediately with information on the exact location of the line.