Lincoln Park affordable housing
Calgary Housing Company (CHC) has a reporting relationship to the Community Services & Protective Services, but functions under its own independent Board of Directors with a mandate to provide affordable housing solutions to Calgarians.
Our mission and vision
Mission: Calgary Housing Company serves the community by being best in:
- Delivering safe and affordable housing solutions to meet the needs of Calgarians not served by the market place,
- Advocating and coordinating support services,
- Fostering community inclusion and pride of home, and
- Creating an environment that fosters opportunity for residents to reach their full potential.
Vision: Using housing as the foundation, we are people helping people achieve an enhanced quality of life for themselves and the community.
Our rental programs
Three distinct programs offer delivery of subsidized housing solutions depending on the various needs of our customers:
- Progressive Housing – short-term housing with shallow subsidies for customers who wish to eventually own their own home and desire a "hand up" so they can move into market accommodation within one to four years.
- Deep Subsidy Community Housing – long-term housing with deep subsidies for customers requiring permanent and stable housing assistance.
- Rent Supplement Housing – assists households in need by providing rent subsidies in eligible rental projects. The two types of subsidies are:
- Legacy Rent Supplement – typically long-term housing assistance in collaboration with private landlords providing a rent supplement to subsidize the difference between a negotiated market rent and 30% of a household's adjusted income.
- Direct Rent Supplement – subsidy paid directly to an eligible tenant (up to a set maximum) and based on the difference between 30% of the household's income and an agreed upon market rent.
Customers are offered affordable accommodation according to a regulated and detailed application process. The type of rental program offered is dependent upon the applicant's individual needs and situation, as well as availability of units. Generally, rent for these programs is based on 30% of a household's adjusted income.
Calgary Housing Company coordinates with numerous and varied city-wide agencies to support the diverse needs of our residents through direct and indirect programming in the areas of education and literacy, recreation, children's programs, family programs, health and nutrition, parenting, arts and culture, social and community engagement, finance and employment programs, and immigrant services.
Through this coordinated effort of providing community and social supports, education, and outreach programs, CHC endeavours to:
- Empower our residents
- Build safe communities
- Facilitate community inclusion
- Build trust
- Encourage strong community development
Two facilitated community and social support initiatives support the diverse needs of our customers in the Progressive and Deep Subsidy Housing Programs:
- Coordinated Social Support Program
- Civic Engagement through Coordinated Support