Share this page Print


Development Permits

A Development Permit is needed for most new construction or if you will be changing the use of a building. Choose Development Permits to find out if your project will require a Development Permit.

Building Permits

You will require a Building Permit for most construction projects. Choose Building Permits if your project will include any changes or additions to Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing & Gas and Building.

eHouse - find permit information on common home renovation projects using our interactive house. 
You can view all current Building Permits; Development Permits; Land use Amendment, Outline Plans and Road Closure applications; and Public Notices for Development Permits on The City’s My Property map.
interactive map
  1. Click on the map image to the left to take you to the interactive map.
  2. Select the categories tab on the left side menu.
  3. Select ‘Land Use and Development’ under the categories menu.
  4. Select the individual layers to display for Building Permits, Development Permits, etc.  These will then show on the map.
    *Please note – for some layers to display you will need to zoom in on the map view, which can be done using the zoom tool at the top of the map.

Home Occupations

A Home Occupation Permit may be required for a business that operates out of a home in a residential neighbourhood. Two types of home occupations are allowed in Calgary.  Choose Home Occupations to find out more.


Telecommunication Antennas

Choose Telecommunication Antennas for information and answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the review process for cell phone towers and antennas.



View Information Specific To your Application.  VISTA is an online permit application monitoring system that allows applicants to watch the progress of their applications and book inspections.  Regular applicants must first become a Registered User.  Choose VISTA to find out how.



BizPaL is an online service run by Industry Canada, in partnership with several provincial and local governments.  Calgary has recently joined the BizPaL service.  The service is intended to simplify the processes for permit applications, business licences and other compliance regulations for entrepreneurs, governments, and third party business service providers, by providing Canadian businesses with one-stop access to permit and licence information for federal, provincial and municipal governments.  The service's goals are to reduce document research time and help entrepreneurs start up faster.