Share this page Print

Kensington Rd NW

Main Streets

Planning the future of Calgary's thriving main streets.

Receive email updates

Subscribe today to have updates and event invites delivered right to your inbox!

Subscribe now!
nextCity Main Streets

    Kensington Road NW

    The Kensington Road NW main street stretches from Crowchild Trail to 10 Street NW through one of Calgary's oldest communities, West Hillhurst.


    Public Input

    Comments were compiled from the Main Streets public engagement activities which took place from November 2014 through May 2015. The top issues, opportunities and outcomes were ranked in order of consensus and ratings from citizens. This input will be analyzed to inform the planning strategy for each main street.

    View full size map


    Evaluation and analysis

    By analysing local input and economic information, the Main Streets team will start evaluating what policy, land use or other planning options would benefit Calgary's main streets.


    By reviewing local statistics, the Main Streets team will consider how past population, employment and transportation trends apply to the future Calgary's main streets.

    View full main street profile

    We are currently working with economic research experts and industry partners to understand what the market demand, opportunities and challenges are for development in main street areas.

    Once this information is compiled we will report back to you on what we've learned. Subscribe to receive email updates and invites to future events.

    In addition to public engagement and economic research about the area, the Main Streets team will review the Hillhurst/Sunnyside area redevelopment plan and related planning documentation in the evaluation and analysis phase of the program.




    The Kensington Road NW main street runs east to west from 10 Street NW to Crowchild Trail NW and spans the communities of Hillhurst and West Hillhurst.

    The potential of this area was largely unrecognized until the early 1900s, when the land was annexed by The City of Calgary. The available lots, location, and presence of a street car line and water and sanitation service, made Kensington Road NW highly attractive to settlers.

    Residential development mainly occurred along the west side. The diversity and scale of architectural buildings along Kensington Road NW reflects the cultural and economic positions of early settlers. Following the Second World War, many of the earliest residences were demolished and replaced with more modern styles, yet the scale and lot placement of homes remained largely intact. Low-rise apartment blocks also emerged during this time bringing more people to the area.

    The earliest commercial blocks were located on the east side of Kensington Road NW, between 10 Street NW and 14 Street NW and contained buildings one to two storeys in height with minimal setback from the street and often with residential suites above. Notable historic buildings that still exist today are the King George Masonic Hall (1926) and the Plaza Theatre (1928).