Share this page Print

14 St W

Main Streets

Planning the future of Calgary's thriving main streets.

Receive email updates

Subscribe today to have updates and event invites delivered right to your inbox!

Subscribe now!
nextCity Main Streets

    14 Street SW

    14 Street SW is a main street that reaches from 6 Avenue NW to 33 Street SW. It's a varied main street that spans over the Bow River through the historic communities of Hillhurst, Sunalta, Beltline, Bankview, and South Calgary. It functions as an important link to Memorial Drive, Bow Trail, 9 Avenue connecting the downtown and 17 Avenue through the Beltline.


    Public Input

    Comments were compiled from the Main Streets public engagement activities which took place from November 2014 through May 2015. The top issues, opportunities and outcomes were ranked in order of consensus and ratings from citizens. This input will be analyzed to inform the planning strategy for each main street.

    View full size map


    Evaluation and analysis

    By analysing local input and economic information, the Main Streets team will start evaluating what policy, land use or other planning options would benefit Calgary's main streets.


    By reviewing local statistics, the Main Streets team will consider how past population, employment and transportation trends apply to the future Calgary's main streets.

    View full main street profile

    We are currently working with economic research experts and industry partners to understand what the market demand, opportunities and challenges are for development in main street areas.

    Once this information is compiled we will report back to you on what we've learned. Subscribe to receive email updates and invites to future events.




    The 14 Street W main street runs through the communities of Hillhurst, Sunalta, Beltline (Connaught), Bankview, lower Mount Royal, Mount Royal, and South Calgary. The north and south sections of the river developed separately until the Mewata Bridge opened in 1954.

    North of the river, 14 Street is characterised by mid-century, low-rise commercial development, with mid-rise residential buildings dating from the 1960s and later. Side streets are almost exclusively single-family homes, and a number of original residences remain in Edwardian, Queen Anne Revival, and Arts and Crafts (Craftsman) styles alongside newer in-fills from the 1940s and 50s up until the early 21st Century.

    South of the river is characterized by light industrial and commercial buildings. From 10 to 17 Avenue SW, 14 Street is lined with mid-to-high rise residential buildings, including some unique examples of mid-century commercial architecture, like the Condon Building, low-rise commercial and a few landmark heritage properties, like Sacred Heart church. This stretch of 14 Street once formed the boundary of the Town of Calgary, when it was first established in 1884.

    From 17 Avenue to 24 Avenue SW, 14 Street is lined with mid-century apartment buildings. Fewer apartment buildings exist beyond 24 Avenue SW to 33 Avenue SW but some examples of Edwardian single-family residences can be seen.

    By 1919, there had been sufficient development in Bankview, Mount Royal and South Calgary to warrant the extension of a streetcar line to 34 Avenue SW. The Number 7 made the area attractive for people to live in the suburbs and commute to work downtown. In 1934, a four block area around 25 Avenue SW was zoned for local commercial activity and still services the surrounding communities today.