33 Avenue SW started as an early transportation route connecting the inner-city neighbourhood of South Calgary to the downtown core. Its growth as a main street started when settlement in South Calgary occurred with the Edwardian boom period of development in Calgary, resulting in the construction of houses, commercial buildings, and institutional buildings in this style. A high number of historic buildings still exist throughout the area, like the King Edward School, for example.
In 1911, the Calgary Municipal Railway streetcar line was established, which ran in a loop from 34 Avenue to 26 Avenue SW. Commercial development aligned with this route forming a central commercial district, now known as Marda Loop.
Today, the area contains a mix of modern, multi-use commercial and residential buildings, mid-century, modern-style commercial buildings, residential to commercial conversions, and historic residential architecture.