The 4 Street SW main street marks the boundary between the primarily residential communities of Mission to the east and Cliff Bungalow to the west. The street has long functioned as a pedestrian-friendly, commercial street lined with two to three storey, flat roofed, commercial brick buildings in Edwardian style.
The street originally served as a connection route between the town of Rouleaville and Calgary. In 1907, Rouleaville was annexed by Calgary and included as part of the main street area. Today, the blocks surrounding 4 Street SW still have a mix of Edwardian-era, single-family housing and low-rise apartment and condominium buildings dating from this time.
In 1909, the Calgary Municipal Railway built a streetcar line that contributed to the development of this street as a commercial high street and made the area one of Calgary’s earliest examples of transit-oriented development.
In 1934, Calgary’s first zoning bylaw prepared the main street for intermediate commercial growth, which encouraged more development and concentration of small businesses in the area. In the 1960s, economic prosperity brought new development to 4th Street SW, including the first of Calgary’s mid-rise office buildings, which developed steadily throughout the early 21st Century.