Calgarians feel connected to Centre City
The 2015 Centre City Citizen Perception Survey findings continue to demonstrate that great strides have been made in building a vibrant Centre City. The City of Calgary’s investment in the Centre City since 2007 has created a more attractive core that has a greater capacity to support and encourage future investment and growth. Survey highlights this year indicate more people are visiting the Centre City and cleanliness in the area meets or exceeds expectations. This is the first year Calgarians were asked about parking and results indicate dissatisfaction with finding parking in the Centre City. The survey also saw a slight decline in overall perceptions of safety in the Centre City.
Centre City important to Calgary's vitality
When our Centre City
thrives, so does the rest of the city. That's why it's vitally important for The City of Calgary and the community to invest its support in planning and creating a livable, thriving and caring core - the vision of The Calgary's Centre Plan
(May 2007). The City’s Centre City team supports projects and planning throughout the Centre City - keep reading to find out more on what is happening.
Calgary's Centre City is bound by the Bow and Elbow Rivers to the north and east and 17 Avenue South and 14 Street West. It includes Downtown, East Village, Stampede Park, East Victoria Crossing, Victoria Crossing Centre, Connaught Centre, West Connaught, West End, Eau Claire and Chinatown.
Bringing Calgarians' vision for the Centre City to life
Our Centre City is a great place to live, work and play. Click the “playlist” drop down menu on this video to view some of the projects completed in 2014 that are making our downtown even better.
New and Noteworthy in Centre City
Other Centre City Projects include Clean to the Core, +15 , and Central Memorial Park. We also lead many planning initiatives throughout the Centre City.
Centre City Facts
Calgary's Centre City is where:
- 161,500 people work.
- Over 6,000 businesses operate and generate over 25 per cent of our city's business and property tax revenue.
- Over 39,000 people live, making up 3 per cent of Calgary's total population.
- Over 25 parks, hundreds of events, shops and restaurants bring vibrancy to the core.
- Tourists come to experience our city.
- Features an array of modern skyscrapers and office towers as well as historic sandstone buildings.
- Calgarians are employed in major industries such as oil and gas extraction, professional, scientific and technical services.
- Significant change is expected over the next 30 years to accommodate the addition of up to 40,000 new residents and over 60,000 new employees by 2035. New services, buildings, and public spaces are required to successfully integrate this dynamic growth.