Photo courtesy of Christina + Nathan Photography
The Centre City has historically been the focal point for delivering programs and services to vulnerable and marginalized Calgarians, particularly those experiencing homelessness due to poverty, mental health and addiction issues.
People living and working in the Centre City have expressed an interest in better understanding vulnerable and marginalized Calgarians who live downtown. Social service agencies, business organizations, The City of Calgary and Calgary Police Service are partnering to provide workshops to respond to this interest.
About the workshops
Workshops provide participants with:
- Accurate information about Calgary’s homeless population,
- Sensitivity skills for relating to persons experiencing homelessness,
- Safety and non-violent crisis intervention techniques to increase confidence, and
- Increased knowledge of available community resources to contact the appropriate agency when help or advice is needed.
Three hour workshops and 1.5 hour workshops are available. The three hour workshop takes place at a homeless shelter in the Centre City and includes a tour of the facility.
The Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre (The Di) , Alpha House, The Mustard Seed and and Inn from the Cold are all partners in the program. Your group can choose the site you would like to visit.
The 1.5 hour workshop does not include a tour and can be conducted at a location convenient for your group.
The following workshops are currently available for individuals in the community:
- Saturday, December 3rd at The DI from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Thursday, December 15th at The DI from 9 a.m. – noon
- Thursday, January 15th at The DI: 9 a.m. - noon
- Saturday, January 28th at The DI: 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Thursday February 9th at The DI: 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Saturday, March 4th at The DI: 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 15th at The DI: 9 a.m. - noon
- Thursday, April 6th at The DI: 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Saturday, April 22nd at The DI: 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Friday, May 12th at The DI: 9 a.m. - noon
Workshops are being coordinated by the Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre. To participate in or book a workshop, contact the workshop coordinator. There is no cost but donations to offset program costs are welcomed.
Who can access the workshop?
Workshops are designed for residents, community groups, business owners and their employees, who would like to train up to 15 people at a time. Larger workshops can be offered but our preference is to run multiple workshops with fewer participants. For individuals who would like to take the workshop, contact the workshop coordinator to find out about space in scheduled workshops.
Find out more about these partners
Social agency partners
Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre
Calgary Downtown Association
The City of Calgary partners
Calgary Police Service
Calgary Transit (Security)
Calgary Community Standards